Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2013 05:00

SMART short self test, funnel and random seek test failures

I've just run a scan on my Inspiron duo and have been told that the following have failed:

SMART Short Self test

Random Seek test

Funnel Seek Test.

What does this mean, and how can I fix it?

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

January 30th, 2013 05:00

Hi Hotchoc14,

Did you run the test using Dell Support Center?
Did you receive any error message or code?

I would suggest you run the on-board diagnostics to check the hardware functionality.

To run ‘Dell Diagnostics’

• Power off the computer
  • Restart the computer, press F12 on the Dell logo
  • Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu
  • Please refer to the link if any error code shows up http://dell.to/OUGnqT

Please reply if you have any questions.

2 Posts

January 30th, 2013 07:00

I was running the Dell diagnostics test on the website. There were no error codes, but before the test had finished running I got a blue screen and a hardware malfunction notice and it shut down. It's happened a couple of times now.

I'm currently running it from the boot menu and I've had an error code 2000-0146 so far.

Thanks!

79 Posts

January 30th, 2013 09:00

Hard drives keep track of their health in "SMART" tables.   Both your blue screen and your SMART test failures are indicating that your hard drive has failed.   If you have good backups or don't care about the data that's on there, you simply need to have the drive replaced with a new healthy one.  If you didn't have good backups and do want the data recovered, search for "data recovery" at dell.com and it will refer you to Dell's recommended data recovery provider, Gillware.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 30th, 2013 12:00

hotchoc14

Error 2000-0146 usually indicates a failed/failing hard drive or bad drive sector.   This could mean your hard drive will need to be replaced.

Try running the Dell Diagnostics extended test on the hard drive and see if you receive the same error code.

Bev.

No Events found!