Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2006 00:00

SONY CD/DVD+-RW DW Will not burn blank cds or dvds...also won't read previously burnt cd's or dvd's

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem or have a similar problem where there sony dvd or cd burner will not read or burn blank media. I f I burn a cd or dvd it will not play in my laptop which is an inspiron 6000 when it did about 4 months ago. Thanks. Oh and I have already went through the troubleshooter or the computer as well as went through the steps like check the optical drive and everythin here. thak you.

15.3K Posts

November 27th, 2006 01:00

Hi Washburnk,

May I ask, what burning software are you using and the name/model of the drive(s) in question?
To acquire the name/models, you can go to Device Manager.
To access Device Manager, use any of the following methods:
• Click Start, click Run, and then type devmgmt.msc.
• Right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager.
• Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Once there, click the "+" next to DVD\CD-ROM drives and list the name/model of the drive(s)

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

5 Posts

November 27th, 2006 02:00

Well I was using the Sonic digital media LE v7 product that came with the laptop however that now says that there is no device detected so I am using my itunes to burn audio cd's and just directly burning data cd's through my computer. But all of these have stopped working now. SONY DVD +-RW DW-D56A is the model of the drive. However the only problem seems to be with blank and burnt media commercial DVDs and PC Games Cd's and audio cd's still work.

15.3K Posts

November 27th, 2006 12:00

Hi Washburnk,

This has become a standard step to try now-a-days; Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 12, article 10 (Ignore the reference to Roxio) and run the article on the filters.

Best Regards!

difference.

CD/RW Link

5 Posts

November 27th, 2006 21:00

I did this but there is still no change. Thanks though.

15.3K Posts

November 27th, 2006 22:00

Hi Washburnk,

If you have not already done so, consider updating the drives

Firmware

Best Regards

difference.

CD/RW Link

2 Posts

December 31st, 2006 23:00

I'm new at posting etc, but after a very frustrating time with the same issue, (including following all the suggestions, changing the registry, downloading the big patch, uninstalling/repairing, tearing hair out, investigating the expensive switch to Nero etc etc etc etc) I went and searched the sonic site (very hard to find info re the LE) and saw a post byanother dell user - with link to updating the pxengine2_08_40d. 

One tiny downlad and MY DRIVES ARE DETECTED AGAIN!!!!

HOORAY!
No Events found!