Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2014 20:00

SSD: Which method to install is best?

I am installing my first Samsung SSD in a new XPS 8700.  It will be the boot drive for the Windows 7 OS and program applications.  I have 3 options, and am trying to decide which route to go:

1. Use the migration software that came with the SSD for a quick transfer.  This apparently will not copy the Dell partition.
  2. Install from the Dell System Restore DVD's I made when I first ran the system.  Does this restore the Dell partition as well, or just the OS?
  3. A new Windows 7 installation using the OS disk (which I have).  No Dell partition with that method.  Drivers would need to be installed.  I have the Drivers disk from Dell  (Rev. A00, dated April 2013), so I'm not sure how current the drivers are on there, but I can download newer ones.  Would this method require special SATA drivers to be loaded during install?

And do I need to do any special partitioning?   Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

87 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 14:00

No special SATA drivers needed, and I would recommend going with option 3: the new Windows 7 install. Do download the latest 64-bit Win7 drivers from Dell's website, but I don't recommend updating the BIOS/UEFI to A06; stick with A03 if that's what you already have. You can use a free app like "Speccy" to see what you have (in the "motherboard" section). Also check to make sure you're running in "AHCI" mode (as opposed to "IDE") in the BIOS/UEFI.

If your 8700 has been running Windows 7, then nothing extra is needed beyond what's mentioned above. But if your XPS 8700 has been running Windows 8/8.1, you'll need to change some settings in the BIOS/UEFI before you can install Windows 7. If that's the case for you, here's how (search in-page for "XPS 8700"):

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=590895&DoNotRedirect=y

38 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 15:00

This isn't a downgrade from Win 8.  Just changing to SSD and sticking with Win 7.  BIOS is already "legacy" AHCI and is v A07 (which is even newer than what is shown on the Dell website).

Thanks!

No Events found!