Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2015 20:00

SSD to load as Windows Boot

I had a serious problem when I was trying to update my graphics card while this Windows 10 Update was force downloading and installing. I canceled it a few times, and the last time, it crashed my PC and ended up locking my Hard Drive. Somehow unlocked after unplugging it and wiped the whole hard drive.

Lost data, which i'm very sad about since I wasn't keeping up with my Portable Hard Drive backup. 

My issue now is, i'm trying to install my Windows on the SSD Hard Drive which is a 32GB SSD, 29.7GB usuable. Before this all happened it was working fine and loading the OS off the SSD, and saving everything else on the 2TB HDD. But now when I install the OS back onto the SSD, everything gets saved on the SSD, not the HDD. I'm not sure how I can set it to install OS on the SSD, then save all the files on the HDD, including Updates. 

I tried the whole Regedit thing, it worked somewhat except the Windows Update files were over flooding the SSD and ended up undoing Update Changes because it was too full even right after a fresh install after formatting.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 14th, 2015 11:00

Hi Anenz,

First, there is no "force downloading" of Windows 10 without your permission. So I can't really explain what might have happened. Anyway, glad to hear you have at least some files backed up.

What model is your Dell and which OS are you trying to install? Normally the 32GB mSATA drive is used only as a cache, not for installing the OS, but you're saying that your had your operating system installed on that drive?

3 Posts

August 15th, 2015 08:00

I'm assuming that's what they dis when they built the PC. Thought they had the OS installed on it since when it's installed on the HDD it was slower.

How do I go by setting up the Cache to be saved on that? I actually bought a 240GB SSD but I'll use that for other things.

3 Posts

August 15th, 2015 08:00

XPS 8700 with Windows 8.1

No Events found!