Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2008 05:00

Seatools: Short DST fail

I have a Dimension that's a few years old and Some bad block errors started showing up in the XP Event Viewer.  I ran Seagate's Seatools for Windows and the Maxtor drive passed the SMART test, but failed the "short DST" test.  Do I neccessarily need to replace the drive, or can a full CHKDSK provide relief?

3.4K Posts

November 22nd, 2008 13:00

Hello,

You need to get everything that you can't stand to lose off the drive ASAP.

The drive will fail, no doubt about it.

93 Posts

November 22nd, 2008 14:00

Agreed.  The longer you wait the more chance of it failing altogether.

39 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 07:00

Here are the drive fail codes according to Dell support:

3 - fatal error, can't complete

4 - test complete, unknown failure

5 - electrical element failure

6 - Servo/seek element failed

7 - Read element failed

8- Element failed-handling damage

They said replacement wasn’t necessary yet if there are just bad blocks.  I booted to Seatools, ran the full drive self test, which identified a few dozen bad blocks, and offered to fix them.  It took less than a second to fix, and since then the Event viewer errors went away, and subsequent short DST tests have passed.  I also ran a full CHKDSK for good measure.

93 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 09:00

Did you run the LONG test yet?  If not, you need to do that right away.  And I would backup everything you can't afford to lose like Darryll said earlier. 

39 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 19:00

Thanks for the backup warnings, that is well taken care of that, so no more warnings needed.

I've only done the Long DST once, after it failed the short.  What is your reasoning to do the long again?

39 Posts

December 5th, 2008 05:00

Long DST passed.

No Events found!