Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 25th, 2007 15:00

Serious Hard drive issue Inspiron 9300

Hi guys, I tried posting some of the other side effects related to this before with no luck. I've narrowed my problem down to this.

I get a serious performance drop when writing larger amounts of data to my laptop hard drive. After a while the cpu usage shoots up and I notice I get these errors repeated in the system event viewer:

5 event 11 errors-
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D

Followed by 1 event 5 error-
A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0

Microsoft's answer is that the cable is failing and to change it - how do you do that on a laptop?! I know the hard drive is good as I get these errors on fresh windows installs on both the original hard drive and a new replacement.

Am I looking at a motherboard replacement? I tried Windows vista but the errors came out even more and stopped it from working correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Ed.

Message Edited by mangajin on 03-25-2007 01:02 PM

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 25th, 2007 15:00

There is no cable, but it's more likely the drive is failing than the controller. Power on, press F12, load the Dell diagnostics and do a full surface test (2 hours or so) of the drive.

6 Posts

March 25th, 2007 16:00

Yikes I just saw how bad the formatting is on my message, sorry about that. Actually I have run both Dell diagnostics on the drive and 3rd party utilities and they all say the drive is fine. I have also tried the drive in another computer and that reports no errors. I also tried a different drive in the problematic computer and sadly this reports the same errors. I initially thought it was the drive also, but this doesn't appear to be the case...
No Events found!