Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2009 03:00

Slot Load DVD plays CDs, not DVDs

Yesterday, my Optiarc DVD RW AD7640 A drive just stopped recognizing DVDs. Before then, performance had begun to slow down but not significantly from before. I have an XPS M1530 and haven't had any problems with the machine so far. I did install PowerDVD and then uninstalled it after recognizing performance issues, but didn't foresee this happening. No idea if it has any bearing.

I upgraded the drivers, rebooted the laptop but nothing. I upgraded the bios a couple months ago and haven't seen an upgrade available since then. It plays software and audio CDs okay, but can't play any DVDs whatsoever which is sad because this is my main source of entertainment. Sigh.

Anyone who can shed any light on this, please let me know. One more thing: I'm currently travelling, something which I often have to do and am not in the US to send this back to Dell where I had the insight of purchasing a 3 year warranty. My system's been with me about a year, and this problem just started now. I'd appreciate any tips or solutions anyone can provide.

Thanks!

- MP

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 24th, 2009 07:00

Hi, MP:

"Recognizing DVDs" means what? If you uninstalled PowerDVD, you may no longer have any DVD decoder, which will prevent the ability to view movie DVDs.

Try this simple trick. With a DVD in the drive, right click that drive in My Computer and select Explore. See if you are able to read the disc contents. If not, try booting in Safe Mode and see if it works then.

Please post back and let me know what happened?

9 Posts

May 24th, 2009 10:00

Hi,

The thing is that after uninstalling PowerDVD, the DVDs were still being read although there was a little sputtering and slow performance issues. Anyway, so I tried your approach and on both times (in regular and Safe Mode), I got an error 'Please insert disc into drive'. So what do I do now? :)

ETA: Just one other thing; by 'not recognizing DVDs', I mean it simply isn't detecting that a DVD is in the drive to begin with! It sees audio and software CDs okay, but the second I insert a DVD (software or movie), it doesn't respond. You can hear the drive trying to read it, and then I hear two clicks after which a slight whirring sound, two clicks again and then a whirring sound and then it just stops trying.

9 Posts

May 24th, 2009 11:00

Apologies for the double post, but I have DivX player installed as well and recently installed BS.Player...which I've just removed, thinking that was the one big thing that changed. That said, no difference. Still not acknowledging the presence of DVDs in the drive although audio and software CDs play just fine. Will using Windows Restore make any difference, do you think? I was having a problem with one of Vista's updates about a month ago, and used Windows Restore to get me out of the problem...? I'm really at my wit's end here and have no idea what to do. :emotion-9:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 24th, 2009 15:00

Hi, MP:

Did you try safe mode?

Restore would be worth trying. I'd be willing to bet dollars for donuts this is a software problem.

9 Posts

May 24th, 2009 16:00

Yup, I tried safe mode and I agree on this being a software problem, because if it was a hardware issue the drive wouldn't be so discriminating. :) I'll hit up system restore and get back to you on whether it worked...

8 Posts

May 24th, 2009 16:00

Hey there...

This is a bit of a silly question but it might make a difference. You mentioned that you're not in the US... What region are the DVD's you're trying to play?

9 Posts

May 24th, 2009 17:00

Don't know, but I've been travelling about for the last year and haven't had this problem. It's not region related, that I do know. But thanks for bringing that up. Meanwhile, I'm going to try the system restore and pray. LOL! Will update once I've done it.

8 Posts

May 24th, 2009 23:00

Sorry to hear that your drive is still not working... I mentioned the region because I know that some laptops allow you to change the DVD preferences only for a limited number of times... I'm afraid that's all I got... Sorry about that... Good luck!

9 Posts

May 25th, 2009 01:00

Odd...my latest reply never showed up. Here's the thing: I restored my system back to a time when it was working and still nothing doing. I even reinstalled PowerDVD and it's the same thing: CDs work but not DVDs. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive just to see if it worked, but that didn't work either. I don't understand how one year into its usage, it's started sputtering at the sight of DVDs. I'm really, really bummed at the fact that I'm not in the US in the foreseeable future to reclaim my warranty. :(

Unless...there's still hope. Anyone? That said, my desktop's back in business along with its three DVD drives so I'm hopeful and it isn't as if I'm stuck forever. In terms of movies, I can enjoy myself but unfortunately I won't be able to enjoy the gameplay of the XPS anymore. Sigh.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 26th, 2009 17:00

Hi, MP:

Sorry for not responding. The forum's been down for a couple days.

It seems most likely your DVD laser or lens has died. The only solution is to replace the drive.

9 Posts

May 27th, 2009 01:00

Sigh. I was hoping it wouldn't come down to that. But how is it then that CDs are playing, but not DVDs? Guess I'll have to send it back to Dell when I get back. :( Thanks for the help and suggestions, though. :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 27th, 2009 18:00

The drive used separate lenses for different discs, so one can fail while the other works. Sorry about that. Good luck with the new drive.

No Events found!