Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 10th, 2017 05:00

Slow USB Transfer on USB3.0 and XPS15

Hi, I'm currently facing really slow usb transfers on USB 3.0, my flash drive is a Sandisk Cruzer Ultra (256GB) 3.0 and my laptop (XPS15 9550 16GB Ram) has a 512GB SSD.

Atransfer between these two devices should be blazing fast but it's not, transfer speeds start kicking on a 40MB/s transfer rate (which looks like USB2.0) but then it slows down even more and drop to 15MB/s.

How can I solve this issue? 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 12th, 2017 00:00

Thank you for your message. Has there been any recent software changes or updates installed?

Is the transfer speed slow on both the USB ports?

Open device manager – expand Universal Serial Bus controllers – Right-click on USB Root Hubs & click uninstall (do not check the box that says delete driver)

Install the chipset driver from this link http://dell.to/2sTbD3b followed by BIOS here dell.to/2uDHoKT   and restart the computer.

Click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

1 Message

July 6th, 2018 23:00

Hi, I am having the same issue with xps 9650, on both usb ports i get slow speeds, less than 40MB/s. I've tried the solution above, but is not working for me. The laptop is new, so this issue is not generated by an update.

September 24th, 2019 08:00

The same here. Look like that the USB driver / BIOS fallback to USB 2.0 when they cant negotiate USB 3.1 V2 (SuperSpeed 5 Gbps).

2 Intern

• 

590 Posts

September 26th, 2019 12:00

@cxammar wrote:

Hi, I'm currently facing really slow usb transfers on USB 3.0, my flash drive is a Sandisk Cruzer Ultra (256GB) 3.0 and my laptop (XPS15 9550 16GB Ram) has a 512GB SSD.

Atransfer between these two devices should be blazing fast but it's not, transfer speeds start kicking on a 40MB/s transfer rate (which looks like USB2.0) but then it slows down even more and drop to 15MB/s.

How can I solve this issue? 

Assuming this is a SanDisk CZ48 256GB mentioned on SanDisk's site here and on Amazon here, SanDisk says it has read speeds of only 100MB/s and the reviews on Amazon show speeds you can expect.  CrystalDiskMark can be used to show performance of flash storage devices.  On Amazon, there are reviews showing their CrystalDiskMark results - here's one running USB 3 and another review showing lower USB 2 speed.  You can compare your performance with theirs.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find thumb drives with high performance.  This is made complicated because you have to look at both sequential (large file) read/write performance and 4k (small 4 kilo-byte file) performance, which for thumb drives is often atrocious - 1 to 2 MB/s or less!  I purchased an older, no longer available, refurbished SanDisk thumb drive to get performance I wanted (around 200 MB/s for sequential and 10 MB/s for 4k), which still isn't great or even close to what USB 3 is cable of. 

To get better performance as a USB device, I've used external SSD enclosures  - getting these devices enough power, though, can be tricky - requiring tweaking Windows settings, using certain USB cables and staying under cable length limits (especially for USB 3.1 Gen2 - requires cables able to handle the power/data and limited to only 3 feet), and/or using powered USB 3 hubs.

No Events found!