Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

February 5th, 2006 17:00

Sonic Activation Module prompt driving me to despair - help required

Has anyone come across this problem on a Dell Laptop or any other PC for that matter? I keep having a problem when booting up the machine. I get the windows installer trying to configure something called the Sonic Update Manager. Now according to the Sonic site this problem must not be unknown as there is a patch and if that does not work they advise uninstalling it, which I have. However, I also keep getting the message. Sonic Activation Module. The feature you are trying to use is on a CD Rom or other removable disk that is not available - Insert the Sonic Activation Module disk and click OK, use source 1. The thing is the Dell does not come with any disks everything is pre-loaded and is somewhere on the HD. I am at my wits end with this message. The only way to get rid of it is to shut it down in the task manager, which is only a temporary fix. Any ideas or solutions welcomed. If I shut down using the Hibernate option then I do not have this issue, it is only on a proper shutdown and startup that the problem resurfaces. I have tried every cleaning tool etc. to no avail. I have uninstalled all Roxio applications again to no avail. After performing a restore which returned the Laptop to a point before I uninstalled the Roxio applications which are now back, however, I cannot use them now as I am being prompted for a disk for those applications, and yes you’ve guessed it, there are no disks. This particular hiccup re: Roxio is not the end of the world as I have Nero on disk, but the Sonic Activation Module prompt really has me beat. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

21 Posts

January 16th, 2008 18:00

Hi there,

This is what I tried and it worked for me, never had the problems since I carried out the following -

Please find below the fix for this issue.

Start the system in Safe Mode.

To do this Turn on the computer

Immediately begin tapping the key.

Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press the key.

When windows loads please log in.

Click on Sonic Digital Media to launch software.

Within the software go to Tools and then Options.

In the Options Screen make sure that General is highlighted on the left.

Under the Startup section remove the tick beside Download Updates on Startup.

Click OK

Next go to Start and Run.

Type in MSCONFIG

Go to the Startup Tab on the right.

Disable the following 2 items in the list.

ISUSPM

ISSCH

Click Apply and the Close - When prompted to do so Restart the System and let it run into Normal Windows.

This should prevent the Sonic Update Manager from trying to Launch on every startup.

Hope this works for you!

2 Posts

August 6th, 2010 07:00

The above hotfix worked for me.

The problem started when I uninstalled a slew of old HP printer / graphic utility files - I have not used the HP printer for a long time now, so I decided to uninstall the files with HP on the control panel > remove program window

So far it has not popped up

2 Posts

August 6th, 2010 07:00

Sonic has released a fix for it. kinda hard for Dell to do sometihng with software that isn't there is it?

http://tools.roxio.com/support/dell/isum_hotfix.exe

The above worked for me - so far the pop up or windows installer window has not popped up.

Thanks.

February 14th, 2011 19:00

Hi! I had the same problem after removing some unusefull programs from my new Dell Dimension PC. :smileymad: Here is how to handle this:
Install de newest Windows Installer version (3.1 v2) from Microsoft's Website:
After installing it, the Sonic Activation Module should not be displayed again. Please let me know, if this works for you too, thanks buddy! :smileywink:

Thanks for your instruction! It's very detailed, I understand this part.
No Events found!