Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

February 17th, 2010 15:00

Stuck disc

I have a physically stuck cd in my drive.  I an pop open the cd drive by putting a pin in the little hole no problem but the disc is actually behind my drive.  Any suggestions  do I have to take the computer apart?

7 Posts

1) Does the light blink when you turn on the computer? If not you may have to open the case and make sure power connetore is firmly seated

2) does the drive make any noise when you push the button.

3) have you tried to open the drive using windows (Right clik on the Drive, then select Eject)

The drive is stuck half way open because the cd is in it plus a small business card I tried to "fish" the cd out with.  BTW the business card was a tip I found on line that didn't work and got me in deeper.

I didn't try cutting it off yet but I am pretty sure this is not a power problem.  By "open the case" do you mean open the desk top physically by screwing it open? How would that be done? How do you get the case off?

7 Posts

Have you tried rebooting, some times when the computer is first powered on it will cycle the Gears inside the drive.   It may help to free its grip on the disk .  the alt is remove power from the computer and brute force it by pulling on the tray.  However there is some danger involved since, this may strip the gears in side the the drive that move the CD Tray.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2010 16:00

Hi, tobejohnson:

You need to open your case, remove the CD drive and then attempt to remove the disc that is stuck inside. If you check your service manual, the instructions are in there. If you do not  have it handy, I can look it up for you but I need the model of your Dell computer.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 18th, 2010 05:00

Here is your manual. Look for the section on adding and removing parts.

Because you have a small form factor system, if you need a new drive, it would be best to call Dell spare parts for one. This is not a standard 5.25" drive.

February 18th, 2010 05:00

Thank you Osprey4,

I am inept so I'm not even certain what model I have but I got these numbers off the side. P5.OGHZ SFF OPTIC PLEX GX280

1GB 80 GB DVD/CDRW NIC

I hope I am giving you the right number. If not where would the model number be posted?

Thanks

No Events found!