Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2015 19:00

Studio 540s SSD drive settings

I'm getting a new SSD to replace my current hard drive, and while trying to enable AHCI in the BIOS, I've discovered that I'm pretty limited (thanks, Dell).  There is no AHCI option, only ATA and RAID.  What I've been reading is, if I switch it to RAID in the BIOS, AHCI is automatically enabled.  Is that true?

Also, will TRIM still work?  I've read posts saying that it won't work with RAID, but Intel says "TRIM support in Windows 7* (in AHCI and RAID mode for drives not part of a RAID volume)"

So, since my PC will be in RAID mode with my new drive, and the drive won't be part of a RAID volume, am I good to go (AHCI will be enable and TRIM will work)?

I could've saved hours of my time if Dell didn't decide to cripple their BIOS.  Pretty disappointing.  I was thinking of getting an Alienware PC in the future, but these kinds of practices really irritate me.  Anyway, sorry for the little rant.  Any advice is appreciated!  Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2015 03:00

Hi Dell Dude,

The BIOS is not crippled by anything but age. :emotion-2: Just set it to RAID, and with a clean install of the OS, you'll be all set.

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 09:00

Thanks!  It came by UPS today, so I should have it running later.  I'll let ya know.

So, as long as the drive isn't part of an array, the trim feature will still work?  I've read about a lot of problems with RAID and trim, but from what I can gather, that's only for arrays.

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 18:00

**UPDATE**

SSD drive is installed and seems to be working great.  Bootup and shutdown times are awesome, and the system seems very snappy overall.  I only have SATA II, so it looks like my max is 3 Gb/s, but it's still a big improvement over my spinner.

I had some trouble getting my drive initialized, and using Acronis True Image, but I got it sorted out.  I ended up cloning my old drive.  I'm one happy camper. 

I used TrimCheck to make sure TRIM is working, and it says yes.  Also, I ran a test with AS SSD and this is what I got.  Is this pretty typical for a 7-year-old machine with SATA II?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 4th, 2015 04:00

Excellent! Looking good.

Good luck with the SSD!

4 Posts

January 4th, 2015 09:00

Thanks!  I'm loving it so far

No Events found!