Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2012 20:00

Studio XPS 1640 Can't Read Blu Ray Discs

Hi, my Studio XPS 1640 won't read Blu Ray discs. When I insert a Blu Ray into the drive it sounds like it's trying to read it for a long time and then quits.

PowerDVD DX 8.3.1.6107 gives me the following error: "There is no disc in the disc drive or your disc drive does not support the format of the inserted disc."

I tried downloading SlySoft's AnyDVD HD and it says: "No disc is present in drive!"

Windows Explorer lists two different optical drives (I only have one): DVD RW Drive (D:) and BD-ROM Drive (E:) - Both ask me to insert a disc if I click on them.

I believe I have the following drive:  HLDS GA11N 12.7mm SATA Slotload 8X DVDRW  ---- Firmware version is A102.

Thanks for any help!

10.9K Posts

April 19th, 2012 20:00

The GA11N is a DVD-RW drive.  It cannot read Blu-ray media.

4 Posts

April 20th, 2012 00:00

Thanks, Skybird. How can I make certain that that is the exact drive I currently have? I'm confused as to why Windows is showing me a BD-ROM drive (E:).

10.9K Posts

April 20th, 2012 07:00

Look in the Device Manager and click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.  This will reveal the Brand and Model of drive.

4 Posts

April 20th, 2012 09:00

Got it. There are two listed:

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GA11N ATA Device

ZQjO 5EVWPERC12 SCSI CdRom Device

My "Original Configuration" from dell.com shows I ordered:

U982D1 Module, Media, Digital Video Disk Drive, Resource Dvd, 1640

VJW221 Kit, Media, Digital Video Disk Drive, Resource Dvd, Extreme Performance System, Notebook

8J1GH1 MODULE..., DVD+/-RW..., HITACHI LG DATA STORAGE..., EXTREME PERFORMANCE SYSTEM..., 1640

80TDW1 Assembly, Dvd+/-Rw, Serial Ata, 1640, Hitachi Lg Data Storage

Any clue why Windows is showing two drives with one labelled BD-Rom? Does this information make certain that I don't have a Blu Ray Drive?

Thanks!

10.9K Posts

April 20th, 2012 12:00

I do not why Windows shows a Blu-ray device.  That entry, perhaps, may be from a program that you installed that created a virtual drive that is used for an .iso file instead of burning the file to disk in order to read it?  But, your GA11N drive cannot play Blu-ray media.

No Events found!