Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2014 07:00

Swapping HDD for SSDs

I recently purchased an Alienware 18.  I mistakenly assumed that since there was a 4 drive RAID configuration option, that the machine contained 4 standard drive bays.  Upon receiving the system, I went through the usual drudgery of installing everything. transferring everything from the old laptop to new, setting up everything the way I wanted, etc.  My plan was to add my 2 spare SSDs to the system, configure them in some way that might be at least more useful than having them sitting on a shelf gathering dust, maybe RAID 1 (i know, not a wonderful idea, but wanted them to at least be used.).  I thought this plan would have the least impact on the current setup and installations.

Now I have come to find out that this system contains 2 standard drive bays, 1 optical drive that can be replaced for a standard drive, and 1 cache chip.  I'd rather not lose the optical drive and I'd still like to include my SSDs in this system.  Unless I'm missing something, it looks like I'm going to have to ditch the HDD to make this happen.  I'm fine with this, but I really would like to not have to go through a complete re install of everything again.  I'm getting the feeling its not possible to accomplish this but I thought I'd ask here first.

Best I can tell, the way it is set up now, the OS is on the cache chip, data is mainly on the HDD, and the drives are somehow configured this way through the BIOS and/or Intel Rapid Storage utility to be as efficient as possible given the hardware the system came with.  Would it be possible to somehow take an image of everything currently installed, swap the drives and plop the image back on, make some tweaks, and have it all come together?  I have a feeling I'll just be getting myself into a big tangled mess and it would probably be best to bite the bullet and swap the drives and re install everything or give up on the whole SSD idea and be happy with what I've got now, but I'd like to know if anyone has any clever ideas.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 11th, 2014 10:00

Hi Bodde1971,

Here is your manual: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_alienware_laptops/alienware-m18x-r2_owner%27s%20manual_EN-US.pdf

There appears to be enough room for three 7.0-mm drives.

As for the OS, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just leave it on the mSATA drive. There's nothing in the BIOS that tells the system where the data should go, the BIOS just sets the priority of the mSATA drive as the boot device. It might be possible to clone the HDD to one of your SSDs, install it, and have everything all set.

3 Posts

January 11th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for the reply.  That is another reason I thought the system would have more drive bays...  My 18x r2 did indeed have three of the larger drive bays.  I assumed this new computer (I'm not sure what to call it) would too.  Sorry I wasn't clear on the version of the computer.  I've heard it referred to as the "btx", "2013 version", and "r3".  Yeah, I don't see why I wouldn't keep the OS on the mSATA either.  A Dell tech acted like the performance of the SSDs in RAID 0 would offer a superior location for the OS compared to where it is now.  In any event, I like the cloning Idea.  I'm wondering if I could temporarily move the HDD to the optical drive bay, install and configure the 2 SSDs, RAID 0, somehow move applications and files to the SSDs, remove the HDD, put the optical back in, and somehow hope the OS doesn't complain about it all.  I suppose I have nothing to loose for at least attempting it.  Worst case, I'd have to do a complete re install of the apps and possibly the OS anyway if I want to do use the SSDs.  Thanks for the ideas.  Any others you or anyone else have would be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 11th, 2014 17:00

I would do some homework before considering RAID 0.

No Events found!