Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2010 12:00

Switch HDD Problem - Dimension 2400

I had 160 GB IDE HDD that had to be reformated then *poof* no operating system on it and I'm unable to re-install it since I cannot get through to recovery console or re-install again. I may have to do "copy" from another HD that has operating system existed on it.

I thought it would be easier that I have another computer that has 80 GB IDE HDD that already has XP operating system which is still good.

I took out 160 GB HDD and put in 80 GB HDD and change the jumper setting to exactly same that shown on 160 GB HDD.

It won't  get through it came to the point where it has "Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networkng, back to where it workd and Normally start windows". I have tried all of 'em and won't work.

I have looked at jumper settings on website and looks like I've done right... either cable setting jumped or blank which supposed to be worked.

Is there a way my existing XP os on 80 GB HDD work?

SOS!!!

:)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 9th, 2010 13:00

deafcheer

You need to reinstall XP on the 160gb hard drive, using the Dell XP reinstllation disc that was shipped with the computer.

A hard drive taken from a different computer, will not work, due to the differences between the two systems.

The procedures for Reinstalling Windows on a Dell Computer, are HERE

Bev.

28 Posts

December 9th, 2010 13:00

Unfortunately my 160 HD is already empty, no operating system. I'm not sure the CD I have that is Reinstallation XP will work?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 9th, 2010 14:00

deafcheer

Is it a Dell XP restallation disc, that is the same version that was factory installed, eg, XP Home Edition, or XP Professional?

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 9th, 2010 15:00

deafcheer

If you used the upgrade version of XP Professional, you could use it, for the installation, providing you still have the XP Home Edition CD to use a qualifying media.

If you used either a full retail, or OEM version of XP Professional, these can be used for the installation, without the need for qualifying media.

Or, you can still use the Dell XP Home Edition reinstallation CD that was shipped with Dimension 2400.

Bev.

28 Posts

December 9th, 2010 15:00

yes... it was factory installed - XP Home Edition... until I upgraded it to XP Professional.

No Events found!