Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2012 05:00

System backup with EaseUS Free edition

DELL Dimension E521. Win XP SP3

I have cloned my 250 GB HD to a 500 GB HD using Sector by Sector imaging. I have then swapped these drives over so that the cloned 500GB drive is now the boot disk and the original 250GB drive is an extra disk in the PC. Both of these seem to be working OK.

If I use EaseUS to back up the system on the 500 GB drive to the 250GB drive, will a new version of the system be created on the 250GB disk or will the version already on the HD (the original version) be backed up?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 19th, 2012 06:00

Hi Bohma,

I'm not sure if this is a trick question. :emotion-2:

What exactly is your objective?

13 Posts

May 19th, 2012 11:00

Hi Osprey,

It's not a trick question.  I want to have two HD's that I can boot from in case one goes down.  The original HD, which is now the backup is running short on space.  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 19th, 2012 13:00

Sounds like you already have two HDs you can boot from, if I understand you correctly.

13 Posts

May 19th, 2012 14:00

Yes, I already have two HDs from which I can boot.  Both are in my PC and I can boot up from either by opening up the PC case and swapping the data cables around.  

What I am trying to do is keep the system on the backup HD up to date with the periodic updates from Microsoft.  With my current setup, these will only be installed to my boot HD.  

I want to use EaseUS system backup to keep the OS on the backup HD up to date.  The alternative is to boot up from the backup HD every now and again and let Microsoft install updates directly to that HD.  I'm not sure if this would work and I would also have the hassle of opening up the PC and swapping the data cables around.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 20th, 2012 04:00

Provided there is enough room on the backup drive, that sounds fine. But at some point, you'll run out of room to perform a full system backup unless you put the operating system on a smaller partition.

13 Posts

May 20th, 2012 05:00

OK thanks for your help :-)

No Events found!