Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2003 07:00

TEAC DVD+RW DV-W58E Firmware

Since TEAC will not support this drive to anyone else except DELL, how can I find out when they plan on revising the firmware to handle various media types.  On that same note . . . is there a media compatibility list out there?  And I don't mean +RW, +R, etc.   I am looking for known problems with media brands (Sony, Memorex, K-hypermedia, etc.).   Not having a good time with this burner. 

Danke.

Message Edited by quasi_state on 12-25-2003 10:24 AM

44 Posts

January 25th, 2004 01:00

Hi, my dell have arrived yesterday, is a Dimension 8300, with the same spects as many of the user of this problem. I don't used the DVD Writer yet (is the TEAC), but after reading all the topics of this thread i'm scared, too scared.

I have purcharsed a Sony DVD+R 1X-4X compatible, DVD +R 1.1 compatible. The price was 50 Mexican Pesos 4.54 US Dolars.

I will try to burn my firsth DVD, will be a DVD full of personal files, i will use the software that comes with the computer. I Will post the burning result here tomorrow,

I've readed all the info on this topic, an there are a lot of problems, maybe in 1 or 2 months this drive will rock, for sure Dell will Release a Firmware Update of the Common Burning appz will solve the issues with this drive (if exists).

If i get errors of problems i will try some things, for example, changing the Drive from Cable Select to Master, changing the rive fom IDE channel.

I hope that all would work fine.

The Teac is a very New Drive, the common burning software don't knows all the specs of the drive, a guy tells that all the Drives uses MPC3 and 4 Specs, but you need to remember, there are some differences between drives, for example, in the old Days, when clone CD was launched, my HP 8200i CDRW can't burn with that program. After 2 or 3 months, my drive was one of the best drives to use with Clone CD, and i don't needed to change the fimware of the drive. Time to the Time.

If ahead (nero) don't includes the W58E in the compativility lst is because is not fully supported yet, if they say by e-mail that the Drive is supported fom X version off the Application, i suppose that is a lie.

Anyway, i will try tomorrow to bun a DVD with that Drive, so stay on. 

17 Posts

January 25th, 2004 10:00

Surprisingly I was able yesterday to burn in Nero 6.3.0.2 4x +RW Philips disc at 3.8-3.9x effective speed (the whole disc in < 15 min) while with THE SAME disc it took 29 min a few days ago... strange...

3 Posts

January 25th, 2004 13:00

I tried to burn a SONY DVD +RW 4x at 4x speed, but it takes about 45 minutes and Nero (6.3) didn't finish it, so the speed was only 1-2x real,I will try the newest NERO version this evening for more testing.

I hope a new firmware will arrive as soon as possible, and Nero will support this drive with all the features it can.

44 Posts

January 25th, 2004 16:00

Hi Friends, only a tip:

Many people can't make a simulation with this burner? In order to burn with simulation in nero you need to deactivate the checkbox with the Burn proof option.

I think that is the problem.

2 Posts

January 26th, 2004 13:00

Hi,

I have also a Dimension 8300 with the Teac burner. On the lable in the last line is also BENQ printed. The drive is manufactured on December 2003. More details (Rev. etc.) next time.
I have installed Nero 6.3.0.2 and have burned a DVD+R with data without problems on a (Emtec 1-4x) medium with 4x speed. Do another test to copy a DVD with DVDShrink (uses to burn also the Nero engine) also successfully with 4x. Use Verbatim DataLifePlus (1-4x).
The new 8x Verbatim DataLifePlus media are not available at the moment in my store in Germany, but I want to try this if there available.
My next test is to burn data to a DVD+RW with 4x speed and will report here the results. I have two different media for testing.
I don't understand why some people have so much problems with this drive. So let us collect more information's for media types and firmware and revisions of the drive.

Andreas

February 2nd, 2004 07:00

Hello,

has anyone any experience with 8x DVD+Rs?

I burned multiple 4x with no success and asked the german dell support. They told me to use 6-8x DVD+Rs:

"Benutzen Sie bitte die DVD+R Rohlinge, die für die Geschwindigkeit
6-8x bestimmt sind.

Weitere Information finden Sie unter dem Link:
http://docs.euro.dell.com/docs/storage/p60337/ge/specs.htm
"

Regards Lino

2 Posts

February 2nd, 2004 09:00

Hello,

here is my update.
I burned a data DVD+RW (Verbatim) with 4x speed without any problems. But the Teac drive have some problems to burn TDK CD-R media. Needs very long time to check the empty media and at the end of writing and write the lead out Nero and the drive hang. With other e.g. Sunstar or other nonames no problems.
Has anyone done some test with really 8x media?

Andreas

3 Posts

February 2nd, 2004 14:00

Hi,

here my new tests :

PrimeDisc DVD +RW 2,4x ok

Verbatim DVD +R 4x ok, but problems with Nero (see bottom), I tried another burning tool, it works fine with these Media at full 4x speed. (Clone DVD)

FUJI DVD +RW 2,4x : Needs very long time to check the empty media and at the end of writing and write the lead out Nero and the drive hang.

I

44 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 17:00

Hi Guys:

After 2 week i'm back with my test:

I have burned as CD Writer Audio and Data CD's with the DV-W58E, all is perfect, i've used Samsung CD-R Media, and Verbatim, Sanmsung and HP CD-RW Media, all perfect, without problems.

This Device starts burning at 20x , when it reach the 30% of the disc, it burns at 28 x, an, when is burning at the 60% of the disc, it burns at 32 x (32 x to 32.2 x).

And, as DVD Writer, i have burned successfully a DVD Data disc, almost full (4462 MB of 4483 Maximum capacity), it burned at 4X continuous speed (3.9x - 4x), it burned the DVD in 15 minutes.

I used the Sony media DVD+R (DPR47L2) is 1x - 4x  compatible, and is certified with the DVD+R 1.1 version. I used Nero Burning Rom 6.3.0.2 as the burning software.

Before to burn any DVD or CD, i've opened the Dimension 8300, and changed the configuration of the DVD and the DVD+RW Drive, i've set the DVD+RW drive as the Master Device (i changed the jumper in the back of the unit), and i also changed the DVD Drive to Slave device (with the jumper in the back of the unit). Both drives was in Cable select before i changed the config.

And also, i deleted the Dell Utilities partition and formatted the Hard Drive, now i have 2 partitions, one 80GB and one 31.7 GB. I've reinstalled the Windows XP Home with SP1a after the Hard Drive formatting and installed all the drivers and all the needed software, i don't installed the CD and DVD Burning apps of Dell, that programs are very Bad. 

My system configuration is the next:

Dimension 8300

Pentium 4 at 2.8 Ghz, FSB of 800 Mhz and Hyperthreading on.
1024 MB (Hyundai) (1 GB) of SDRAM DDR at 400 Mhz system memory.
120 GB (111.7 GB real) S-ATA Hard Drive at 7200 RPM (Seagate).
16X DVD ROM (HLDS - Hitachi LG Data Storage)
8X DVD+RW Drive (TEAC DV-W58E, with the factory firmware, Dec. 2003
)
Creative Audigy 2 Sound Card
Nvidia Geforce FX5200 with 128 MB DDR memoy, video card.
Floppy Drive (Samsung)
Modem (Conexant chip)
Intel Pro 10/100 Nerwork Card

SOFTWARE:
Dell dimension 8300 A03 BIOS
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with SP1a
Norton Antivirus 2003
CyberLink PowerDVD 5.0
NERO BURNING ROM (Ultra Edition) 6.3.0.2

Hope that this info can be usefull.

Also, many guys say that nero don't detects the DVD+RW Driver correctly, thats false, if you open nero without any DVD+R in the Drive, Nero says thet the maximun speed is 2.4 x, when you insert the DVD+R in the drive, nero says: 4 X , and i think that if i insert a 8x DVD+R media it will say: 8x.

In my town there are no DVD+R 8x compatible media, when i get some 8x Media i will tell to this forum what happens.

Greetings
Antovasa

73 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 19:00

Antovasa,

Thanks for your hard work and good report......I, too, have burned DVD+R; DVD+RW; CD-R; and CD-RW, all with Nero 6.3.0.2, using Sony CD-R, Sony DVD+R (4x), Memorex and Maxell CD-RW, and TDK DVD+RW(2.4x).  I uninstalled the Sonic programs, and I use DVD shrink to make backups of movies.  I have also burned DVD+R/+RW data discs, CDR/RW data and music discs, etc...both with InCD (RW) and Nero....so far, so good.

I did not open up the case or delete the Dell partition........I have a 4600 with P4 2.66/533FSB; 512RAM; and an 80 and a 40 Gig WD HDDs.  Also, the 16x DVD ROM.

Thanks,

Michael

73 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 20:00

Wow......you may have hit it!  Any way to check  master/slave w/o opening up the case??

Thanks,

Michael

P.S.  I checked my BIOS and saw that my two HDDs were set as master and slave, and the two dvd drives (ROM and RW) were also set as master and slave, so I guess I answered my own question.  I hope :-)

Message Edited by zzyzx6986 on 02-03-2004 04:47 PM

Message Edited by zzyzx6986 on 02-03-2004 05:03 PM

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 20:00

Hi antovasa,

i've got the same probs, as most of the people here in the forum,

i already talked twice with the Dell Hotline. I got really disappointed. All Help they offered is to use different type of media, and to check if UDMA is set to on in the BIOS. And this although i 've got a two years on-Site Service.,

Finally i opened mine as well and what did i see? Both DVD-RW and DVD jumpers were set on CSEL (cable select). I did the same what you did, concerning Master and Slave settings.

Hooray, my first dvd on a Tevion media DVD+R at 4x speed was a success!!!   I used clone dvd for making  a testcopy. Now I'm going for my second  one.

Everything seems to be fine now.    CHECK YOUR JUMPERS!!! 

I wonder how the Quality Assurance Departement at Dell comments this Faux Pas!

Wrong jumper setting!! Wow!! I don't believe this. This must not happen!!

My system configuration:

Dimension 8300

Pentium 4 at 3.0 Ghz, FSB of 800 Mhz and Hyperthreading on.
1024 MB  DDR at 400 Mhz
120 GB S-ATA HDD 7200 RPM (Seagate).
16X DVD ROM (Samsung)
8X DVD+RW Drive (TEAC DV-W58E, with the factory firmware, Dec. 2003
)
Onboard Sound

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO with 128 MB DDR memory, video card.
Modem (Conexant chip)
Intel Pro 10/100 Nerwork Card

SOFTWARE:

Dell dimension 8300 A03 BIOS
Microsoft Windows XP Professional with SP1a
Norton Antivirus 2003
CyberLink PowerDVD 5.0
CloneDVD 1.3.2

44 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 22:00

Hi Michael, info for your question:

You can't know the configuration of the Drive without opening the computer case, i will explain.

The CSEL jumper (Cable select), negotiates the position of the device in the IDE controller, for example, if the two drives are in CSEL, both try to be the Master, when one othe drives is Master, the CSEL of the other Drive takes the slape position.

Cable Select is a poor option, because it causes conflicts with both drives when are in use, the problem with the Dell Computers isn¡t the DVD Writer, actually the problem is the dummy configuration by Dell, because they don't wanna use 30 seconds per drive to change the  jumper in the back part.

More info: When two drives are using the Cable select jumper, they negotiate, one gets the Master position and the other gets the Slave position, but, the slave position drive try to be the Master sometimes, that causes that for example, when you are burning a CD a buffer underrun, of weird action on the Master Drive, for example the error with Nero.

The best configuration to use a computer to burn CD's or DVD's is to give to the CD Writer the Master position on the Second IDE controller, and the sorce drives (Hard Disk and DVD - CD ROM Drive) in another IDE Controller (in the example, the HArdDisk Master and the DVD Slave).

In The Dimension 8300 is a little different, because if you are using a S-ATA Hard Drive, the S-ATA controller takes care of the Hard Drive in a better way than IDE).

The best configuration for a Dimension 8300 with S-ATA Hard Drive is the next:

DVD ROM or CD ROM as the Master Device of the IDE 0 Controller
DVD Writer or CD Writer as the Master Device of the IDE 1 Controller (with the Dimension you will need to buy an IDE Cable, because the Dimension only have one cable, the IDE cable is a flat cable, with 40 Pins and with a red line in one side, that red line when is connected to de Drive is near the power connector of the Drive).

So, Michael, you need to open the case and check the real configuration of the Drives, extract each drive and check the mark in the upper part of the drive, and check what of the three jumper is the Master or the slave and put the jumper in that jumpers. And do the same job with the other Drive.

Maybe you don't understand me, because i have a very bad english (i'm spanish), but you and other guys can o the next to lear about IDE Connectors and Jumpers, go to the web site of a CD Writers of DVD Writers manufacturer, and go to the support section, and search for a Setup manual or a quick install guide of any CD Writer, in that manuals appears the enought info to do the job with your Dell Computer.

Hope that this can solve your problems.

Greetings

73 Posts

February 3rd, 2004 23:00

Anotvasa,

Your English is fine (better than my Espanol)......Thanks for the info.  When I get up the courage I will explore per your advice.

Michael

14 Posts

February 4th, 2004 12:00

A new update of nero has been released today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6.3.0.3. So maybe this version will be better?????????????????????

No Events found!