Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2009 15:00

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633A won't read DVD Double Layer

Hi,

I have a problem with DVD+-RW drive on my Studio 1735 Notebook. It normally reads all CD+-R/RW and DVD+-R/RW discs, but won't read some DVD Double Layer discs. When I say "some" I mean on TRAXDATA DVD+R DL discs, because I tried with Verbatim and Sony and there's everything fine. It's interesting that it burns them normally but when I put them in again, it can't read them. I tried insert that burned Double Layer DVDs in another drive (Pioneer DVR-117 on my PC) and it read them without any problems. I burned with several burning software (Nero, gBurner, PowerISO) but it's always the same.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me.

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 24th, 2009 17:00

Hi, bjede:

Well, you've covered the troubleshooting bases nicely. I see a few firmware updates, this being the most recent. Why don't you give that a try and please let me know if things improve.

BTW, I checked "Traxdata" in the database and the results are mixed for 2.4x DL media. They're manufactured by Ritek (usually pretty mediocre) or Ricoh. Reliability of such media is completely drive-dependent. Some drives will work fine and others not at all.

3 Posts

October 25th, 2009 16:00

No, it didn't help. I tried a few firmwares, but a problem still persists.

I bought 30 Traxadata DL's and now they are actually useless.

Please, if you have some other idea about this problem...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 26th, 2009 13:00

If I understand correctly, you have a Pioneer drive that seems to work. Why not just use that drive?

3 Posts

October 27th, 2009 06:00

Because that Pioneer drive is in my PC, but I have a problem with my Dell Notebook drive (TSSRcorp TS-T663A).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 27th, 2009 11:00

My only suggestion would be to use better media, such as Verbatim. Otherwise, you're simply rolling the dice with no-name brands.

26 Posts

August 10th, 2011 14:00

The slot loading DVD drives in the 1535 and 1735 models are extremely fragile and the first thing to go wrong with them is failure to read Dual Layer discs.  This problem cannot be repaired by cleaning the lens or running an update on them.  This problem is absolutely a hardware failure such that it will prevent you from reinstalling the operating system from dl disc media.

Sorry, you need a new DVD drive.

No Events found!