Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2012 16:00

The Cd/DVD drive does not show up on My Computer (Also can't eject disc either)

I recently had to re-install everything on my computer and had one of my back up disks in the drive when I went to bed.  When I tried to get the disk out, I did not have a CD/DVD drive.  I have tried doing diagnostics, but nothing is showing up.  Please advise.

10 Posts

May 28th, 2012 18:00

Also If this is a desktop computer just below the eject button there is a small hole, try to insert a paper clip and push it firmly, it will eject the drive out. If this is a notebook and if you have a try load DVD drive, try the same step. If it is a slot load DVD drive, then I would recommend to contact technical support if the system is in warranty.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Dewang Dave (RoboDave)

10 Posts

May 28th, 2012 18:00

Hello,

1) Is the drive detected in Device manager? If yes move to second question. If no, please try the steps below.

* Check if the optical drive is detected in BIOS, if yes move to second question, if no.

*  Re seat the optical drive, if that does not helps.

* Swap the cables with the hard drive and enter BIOS and check whether the optical drive and the hard drive is detected.

If  hard drive is not detected and optical drive is, replace the cable and check.

If  optical drive is not detected and hard drive is, replace the optical drive.

2) Is the drive detected in My computer?

If yes please check try this following steps :

* Check on support.dell.com for latest firmware update.

* Try updating BIOS.

* Delete upper filter's and lower filters from registry.

* If all does not work, try re installing the operating system.

* last but not the least  if all fails replace the optical drive.

If no please check try this following steps :

* Delete upper filter's and lower filters from registry.

* Re install the operating system.

* last but not the least if all fails replace the optical drive.

***How to delete upper filter and lower filters.

Click Start, and then click All Programs.

Click Accessories, and then click Run.

Type regedit, and then click OK. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or more help on the Microsoft Web site.

On the Edit menu, click Delete.

When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

Exit Registry Editor.

Restart the computer.

Let me know if this helps.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Dewang Dave (RoboDave)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 29th, 2012 05:00

Hi CMitch1066,

If you ran the diagnostics from the F12 utility partition and you see no optical drive at all, then your drive has definitely failed.

No Events found!