Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2014 13:00

Trouble upgrading HD on Inspiron 531

I've recently upgraded the second hard drive on my Dell and can't get it to format fully.

The computer is a Dell Inspiron 531with an AMD processor running Vista. I've updated drivers for relevant devices so they're current. The original confirmation was 2 x 250gb hard drives giving 500gb. I have retained the original drive with the OS on and changed the second drive for a 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200 drive. I've initialised the drive and used the 'new simple volume' wizard to set it up. It now shows as being Healthy (primary partition).

When formatting the drive, via Vista's disk management software, it refuses to go beyond 54%. I've also tried a quick format but this doesn't work - it says 'windows was unable to complete the format'. I've also tried using a program called HDD low level format tool but that shows I/O errors after working for so long. I should say this is second drive I've had as I returned the first as faulty when experiencing very similar problems.

Any help very much appreciated!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 1st, 2014 17:00

Ok, I found this article, which appears to address your issue. Let me know if that helps.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 30th, 2014 14:00

Hi Laserone72,

What is the file system of the partition you set up? Could you possibly post a screen shot of disk management?

3 Posts

June 30th, 2014 15:00

Hopefully this helps - the new (2nd) drive is D: or Disk 1

3 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 16:00

Problem solved!

Updated the nvidia sata drivers, formatted the drive and it ran straight past 54% out to 100%. Drive now ready for use!

Thanks very much for your help - I would never of thought of that solution.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2014 16:00

Good to hear!

3 Posts

December 17th, 2014 10:00

I have the exact same problem but I don't know how to find out what NVidia model I have and if it has GPU included or not... Any help would help.

Bruno

No Events found!