Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2012 11:00

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I don't know exactly what caused this, but for some reason my computer cannot boot onto Windows XP, and I keep getting a blue screen that says unmountable boot volume. A while back I did replace my hard drive and RAM.  It has been working for months, no problem.  I ran the tests and got these error messages.  ERROR CODE: OFOO:1344  MSG BLOCK 4327046: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected, and another message  ERROR CODE OFOO:133D  IDE DEVICE FAILED:  Incompatable cd for testing. 

Any one have any ideas or anything, this stinks :)  Looks as if my hard drive is failing

Thanks

Bill

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 24th, 2012 11:00

Hi Bill,

Yes, unfortunately, that's the problem. What's the model of your Dell?

The second part of the error, "IDE DEVICE FAILED:  Incompatable cd for testing", just means you didn't have a disc in the drive to run that test.

May 24th, 2012 12:00

Hi

Thanks for getting back.  The computer is a old 2004 Dell Dimension running windows xp home edition.  Do you think it was just a  hard drive or something else causing the drive to fail.  It was a Western Digital Caviar Blue 250 gb   worked fine up till now, only a few months old.  

thanks

Bill

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 24th, 2012 14:00

picturethis62

Hard drives are mechanical devices and as such will fail, it's just a question of when.  

As far as I'm concerned, there are only two types of hard drives, the ones that have failed and those that are waiting to fail. 

Hence the reason for warranties and for keeping your backups current to other media.

In the past I've seen hard drives fail in less than 30 days.

Bev

May 24th, 2012 22:00

Wow, ok thanks.  I do have my old hard drive with my important files on it.  Is there a place I can send a hard drive and get the pictures put onto disk, I'm not to good at burning stuff, and the drive is out of the computer, wondering if they do that.  Just the photo files, nothing else

thanks

Bill

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 25th, 2012 04:00

If you can still read the drive, mount it in an external case and attach it to a working system by USB - copy your photo files.  Yes, there are data recovery services - but they're not inexpensive.  Even a basic recovery can run well over $1,000.

Drive Savers is one of the best at data recovery if you find you need that.

May 30th, 2012 08:00

To avoid such errors in future follow the 5 steps below

1. Do not shutdown the PC using the power button ie: force shutdown

2. During Lightning or Thunderstorms make sure you unplug the PC from the wall and remove all internet cables as well

3. Do not download unwanted software from the internet

4. Update your Antivirus and keep you computer clean from Junk files

5. BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!!!

No Events found!