Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 20th, 2003 13:00

Unable to format DVD+R/DVD+RW discs

I have a New Dell 4600C with a 24X CD-RW/DVD Combination Drive (NEC 1100a?). The software that came with the computer is Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3.4.21 SP28 that I have upgraded with a patch from Dell (R67590). The drive has been tested with DVD's and CD's, and works fine. However, I am unable to format a DVD+R or DVD+RW disc. With the disc in the drive, and clicking on the format button, I get the message: Please insert disc. What do I need to do? Thanks,  Ray 

48 Posts

December 20th, 2003 14:00

Combo-drive?

this means it can read and write CD-R and CD-RW, but only can read DVD (not write).

If you want to burn CD and DVD you must have a DVD-writer, not a combo - drive

Message Edited by Dirk V on 12-20-2003 05:37 PM

15.3K Posts

December 20th, 2003 16:00

Hi Ray,
The NEC 1100a is indeed a DVD writer but however according to the specs here:
http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/storage/p46434/en/specs.htm
it is not 24X. So it is highly possible Dirk hit the nail on the head and the 24X drive is only a DVD reading / CD/RW burner, if you could double check the model and post it someone can verify this for you. However many new drive should be able to read DVD+/-media that has been wriiten to and properly closed, but a Blank disc should give you the "Insert disc" message.

Seasons Greetings!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2003 01:00

Hello Dirk and Jeff. Thanks so much for responding to my problem. I received 3 Verbatim DVD+R and 2 DVD+RW disks with my computer package, and assumed they were the correct disks for my Combo Drive. I guess the easiest thing to do is to purchase a CD-RW disk and try it? I checked my device manager for the drive I have: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N (Manufacturer: Standard CD-ROM Drives) I hope this will help to confirm the solution to the problem. Thanks,  Ray

15.3K Posts

December 21st, 2003 03:00

Hi Ray,
I am not having much luck with Dell`s Search, they must be playing with yet again, however this link Dell system with your drive

confirms that your drive is a DVD-ROM reader and CD/RW burner. The drive cannot write to the DVD media, why Dell shipped you those discs I have no idea.
Pick you up some CD-R`s and CD/RW discs and test the drive, should work fine.

Seasons Greetings!

difference.

48 Posts

December 21st, 2003 09:00

i found the manual from your drive here in germany on our local DELL-Site.

bad news: it's like I said before, read an write CD but only read DVD.

Dirk

15.3K Posts

December 21st, 2003 11:00

Dirk,
I found information on this as well but not the manual from Dell, where and how in Germany may I ask?
Also as a side note, when posting trying to use the Reply Button in the last message of a thread, hitting the Reply Button in the original post tends to do what we refer to as cutting / stepping over posts, you will not see it if using the Linear view, to make a thread flow properly in all views consider using the Reply Button in the last message of thread if intending to add information. Click on the CD/RW gif in my post and scroll to General Discusion area if interested.

Best Regards

difference.

Message Edited by Predator on 12-21-2003 08:51 AM

48 Posts

December 21st, 2003 11:00

you can read german manuals???

Ok, look here:

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/storage/p39696/de/

if not look here:

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/storage/p39696/en/

15.3K Posts

December 21st, 2003 12:00

Hi Dirk,
I always use both the US and Asia Search but came up empty, must not have been holding my mouth right ... lol.
The Germany link gives the Page not found but the US works, thanks

Seasons Greetings!

difference.

48 Posts

December 21st, 2003 12:00

oops, next time I will use the right reply-button :-)

3 Posts

December 21st, 2003 21:00

Dirk and Jeff,

I wanted to let you know that I was able to successfully burn my files on a CD-R disk. I still do not know why Dell sent me DVD+R and DVD+RW disks - probably just to confuse me. I really appreciate your prompt responses. They were right on the money!Ray

15.3K Posts

December 22nd, 2003 04:00

Hi Ray,

Glad to hear the CD burner is working OK.
Good luck with the drive and your system.

Jeff
No Events found!