Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2010 09:00

Upgrading internal hard drive. Need help!

So my 120GB internal hard drive in my inspiron 1520 is not cuttin it any more and I need to get a new drive. Its a SATA drive partitioned into a 30GB C: drive and a 90GB D: drive and my C: drive has like 4MB free. I pretty much need a larger C: drive and might as well get a huge one because the prices are so good. The problem is that i dont have any of my program cd's to reinstall my liscensed programs with serial numbers and stuff. Is there some way of somehow moving your entire operating system with all your programs and prefrences to my new internal hard drive and just be able to switch em out without too much of a problem? Im really looking to avoid the "repartition your internal and get an external HD" option cuz i tend to have bad experiences with externals. This is really becoming an issue so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

39 Posts

If this has window7 you can make an ISO image via control panel.

3 Posts

It actually Vista buisness. Im sorry I left that out earlier. Do you know any way to do it in Vista?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 12th, 2010 10:00

ImageX works with Vista as well - it's free but has a steep learning curve.  Some drive makers (WD, Seagate) supply Acronis TrueImage for cloning - if you buy one of their drives.  YOu will need a 2.5" external drive case to hold one of the drives while you clone it.

3 Posts

February 12th, 2010 12:00

Ok thanks alot for posting. I am probably going to get a WD 640 or 500GB. Does Acronis TrueImage come with every WD/Seagate product or will it neet to be specified in the description? I mean now that I know the acronis trueimage name it will definitely help looking so you dont need to reply i was just wondering cuz you seem to know your stuff. Thanks for lookin out for me with the drive case as well i didnt think about that

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 12th, 2010 15:00

Ok thanks alot for posting. I am probably going to get a WD 640 or 500GB. Does Acronis TrueImage come with every WD/Seagate product or will it neet to be specified in the description? I mean now that I know the acronis trueimage name it will definitely help looking so you dont need to reply i was just wondering cuz you seem to know your stuff. Thanks for lookin out for me with the drive case as well i didnt think about that

lvs211

You need to download the software from the hard drive manufacturer's support site, but it can only be used for their hard drives.

Bev.

No Events found!