Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2005 00:00

WD Raptor 74GB Warranty!

New 8400 delivered with WD Raptor 74GB. I have swapped this drive with a friend for a larger capacity drive. He tells me that when he has checked the WD warranty website and input the drive serial number it tells him that the drive does not have any warranty! can this be correct as the 8400 was only recently built and delivered?.

11 Posts

Ok, seeing as the drive is no longer in the pc that was delivered to me would that make any difference if say the drive went fault next month, would Dell still take it back?

1.3K Posts

The OEM drives have the warranty by the Computer Manufacturer.   So in your case Dell.   

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Retail and bulk Raptors are warranted by WD for 5 years.

The ones built for and installed in OEM systems carry whatever warranty your system has - the warranty is through Dell, not WD.

11.9K Posts

March 13th, 2005 01:00

@milgo wrote:
Ok, seeing as the drive is no longer in the pc that was delivered to me would that make any difference if say the drive went fault next month, would Dell still take it back?

Dell would make you install it back into your computer and run diagnostics on it to prove that the drive is bad before shipping you a new drive.  If your friend calls, they will tell him he has no warranty.  If you tell them what you did, they will tell you that you have no warranty.

11 Posts

March 13th, 2005 03:00

I see, It seems crazy to me though, because it would be obvious to either Dell or WD when the drive was manufactured (because of the serial number) and hence should still be within the warranty period.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 13th, 2005 09:00

The date of manufacture of the drive doesn't matter - it's the date of shipment of the system it was installed into, that does.

The warranty covers the system and all as-shipped components.

11.9K Posts

March 13th, 2005 11:00

@milgo wrote:
I see, It seems crazy to me though, because it would be obvious to either Dell or WD when the drive was manufactured (because of the serial number) and hence should still be within the warranty period.

If you buy a computer and strip it off parts and then resell them to people, why should Dell provide warranty support?  If you do that on your new car, does the car company provide warranty support to the person who bought your parts?  Nope.

11 Posts

March 13th, 2005 18:00

I do understand what you are saying, but! If I buy a HD, as I have done, and installed in my 8400, it has a warranty. If I then upgrade my computer and choose to keep the same HD that I had bought and installed in the 8400 and then install it in my new computer then the warranty would still apply.

So, that being the case. I order a pc from Dell, I spec it to include a WD Raptor. Dell source the Raptor & include it in the build. The Raptor that they have sourced has a warranty?. How can that warranty suddenly not apply to the Raptor?

I can see that perhaps Dell would not support the HD as it is no longer part of the system that I bought from them but, I find it hard to understand that WD do not recognise the warranty on their product.

17 Posts

March 13th, 2005 19:00

its becuase dell buys huge amounts of them at a time at very reduced prices. dell buys them "as-is" no warranty from wd. the lower price is becuase of no warranty. dell then charges close to retail and applies there own warranty. in the case of hard drives this is usually a shorter time than the hard drive manufacturers warranty. this is how dell makes there money.

11.9K Posts

March 13th, 2005 19:00

@patrox89 wrote:
its becuase dell buys huge amounts of them at a time at very reduced prices. dell buys them "as-is" no warranty from wd. the lower price is becuase of no warranty. dell then charges close to retail and applies there own warranty. in the case of hard drives this is usually a shorter time than the hard drive manufacturers warranty. this is how dell makes there money.

Correct.  Once it goes in the Dell box, the only WD relationship is with Dell, not you.  Once you take it out of the Dell box, it has no warranty on its own.
No Events found!