Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2014 17:00

Weird Noise coming from the Hard drive, every Min or 2-Dell Inspiron 15R SE 7520

Not Really sure if it is even a bad issue. This drive has not failed yet. It is just making some weird noise , I have no idea what could be the cause.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYSdD4fyRU

The ticking sound , in this video, is exactly the same. The only difference. Mine does it every 1 min, sometime every 2 mins....and sometime every 3 or 4 mins. And it only makes the ticking sound once. not over and over.

so one tick every so often. you can only hear it-when everything is guiet? Just one tick and it goes away for awhile?????

Does this mean that my drive is failing? Reason why I am asking. After one year of use, the hard drive failed-It just died. Dell replaced the drive/Msata too. It has been close to another year, with the replacement. Is this a sign, should I back up and save all my info. should I contact dell.

IF the laptop kills another hard drive-Is there a chance the Motherboard is defective?

Things I have tried----defrag the drive, I have even check and repaired sectors....nothing found.

Any Help would be appreciated.....

been thinking of upgrading to a ssd, but i really don't want to do this, if the motherboard is killing hard drives?

Thanks for reading

78 Posts

May 30th, 2014 11:00

Here I am again, kinda frustrated......Got a good reply when I first posted...but nothing else after that...Different Story/Issue....same old answer.....(((I figured it out on my own)))))

Not sure if this is the correct answer, but I figured if there was anybody out there with the same issue, this might give you some answers.

After reading and Goggling....I found a few different answers...."My Favorite, But NOT CORRECT"...Your drive is dying, you need to back up all files and save it on an external drive, before it fails...where there's one click or one bad sector....it will multiply into more.

Of Course, these would be a simple answer from somebody that knows nothing about Hard drive. But incorrect. Especially if you are not experiencing any issues or Blue Screens.

One hard click or Clunk, can be a few different things. Non of them pointing to a drive going out. Depending on the drive, it could be a bad sector. or It could be one of 2 other things, "THERMAL CALIBRATION ROUTINES" or it could be "ADVANCE DRIVE PROTECTION".

I don't understand how any of them work, but a quick Google search should provide you with some answers.

On my drive a simple defrag helped. Now I hear the noise, every once and a while. Sometime I don't hear it at all in a session. Not sure if it was coincidence? But I feel alot better know what cause it.

Thanks for reading my question and Post

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

May 26th, 2014 20:00

Hi fulwider8,

I would suggest you to follow the steps below to run the test on Hard drive on the system.

1.       Open the link http://dell.to/14YjKb2

2.       Select ‘Hardware’ under ‘Choose a Diagnostic Type’.

3.       Select ‘Hard drive’ and ‘Hard drive stress’.

4.       Click on ‘Run Diagnostics’ button.

5.       Let me know if the results.

Please let me know if this helps.

78 Posts

May 26th, 2014 21:00

I should have clarified...Sorry?

All Test pass with flying colors......

I saw in that video that guy said"the click was a bad sector". I ran that test too, and it found no bad sectors.

Its just so weird? It only clicks every 2 to 4 mins.....I've been timing? Sometimes, it wont click for the longest, and that out of no where.

I tried to stress the hard drive, and during the stress....no clicks? I have a feeling, that this is just the beginning? I really want to throw a SSD in this system-But I need to wait a few and see if the drive fails on std usage.((((I need to start another thread, how to config the msata to only cache the storage drive))))

If I end up putting a SSD inside this, I would use the 1tb drive as storage and the 32gb msata as a Page file and cache on the storage.......But I need to make sure the motherboard is not killing drives...

Have you ever hear of a drive throwing a click here and their? I have allot of experience with desktops..I have never hear a click here and a click there. usually when a drive goes out--it clicks over and over, or you hear a crazy squeal...

This noise I hear is not the normal noise you would get with old IDE drives.....ITs the same click as in the video....just not over and over like his?????

I really appreciate the help----I got this laptop and I feel like I am learning computer science all over again...I am lost on this thing....LOL

78 Posts

May 28th, 2014 11:00

I was hoping somebody could elaborate on the sound coming from the drive. It seems the sound is getting louder....instead of the light clicks, it sounds like more of a hard click?

I read somewhere online, where  a guy mentioned, that defrag the hard drive could help....so I defrag the 1% on my drive, and I thought the sound went away.

Just now, while simple surfing, I heard it....even louder than before?

Do you guys think its time to contact customer support"I still have a warranty on this".....

I am just worried, that they will replace the drive, and it will happening again, after my warranty runs out? If a computer keeps going threw drives-Is it a chance that it could be the motherboard?

All Test and stress Test on the drive show nothing wrong.....running the test for bad sectors, show nothing wrong. I would have never caught it, but it just so happen that my home was very quite one day...and I notice the small tick, coming from the drive..

There is a good chance this happened the same, with the last replacement--just never noticed the ticking...till the drive died

I am running Windows 8.1 and it is a clean install-Not Upgrade...and its maybe 3 weeks old on the operating system install. I only have a couple of programs installed...No games...nothing demanding...I have mainly used the laptop for surfing.

Drive is a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB 5400 RPM 8 cache

Cache Drive is a Samsung PM830 32gb all dedicated to cache

I really want to put windows 7 back on this and upgrade to a ssd, but I can't till I figure out the cause of the ticking?

Any Help would be appreciated?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 30th, 2014 15:00

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/qual/featuresLeveling-c.html

No Events found!