Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2009 07:00

What are the best replacement disk drives?

The DVD drive on my Vostro 400 desktop died this week.  That is the second one to that failed on this one year old machine.  Obviously the TSST TS-H653 drive that Dell supplies is junk.  So the question is what is a good, reliable disk drive for this machine?  Has anyone had any experience with installing replacement drives into Dell computers and were there any unexpected compatibility problems?

4.6K Posts

April 22nd, 2009 09:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Since it's a desktop system, you can install any make/model DVD±RW drive you want - without having to worry about compatibility problems.

FWIW - I can personally recommend Pioneer, LG, +/or Samsung drives.

Whatever manufacturer you decide to go for, make sure you choose a new model.

It's surprising how many older models are still available, and it would be all too easy to order one by mistake.

As long as the drive is rated to 22x or even 20x (in the case of Pioneer), you should be OK.

And finally... be sure to buy one in a matching colour - or at least as close as you can get.

If your case is an unusual colour though, it obviously doesn't really matter what colour drive you get, 'coz it ain't gonna match!

Your only option then, would be to 'stealth' the drive :emotion-5:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 22nd, 2009 13:00

Sam 2009

My preference is LG optical drives.

The directions for removing and installing optical drives in the Vostro 400, are HERE

Bev.

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2009 17:00

LG seems to be highly regarded.  Maybe Dell should start putting them in the Vostro.  Thanks also for the directions for removing/installing the drive.  That's very helpful.

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2009 17:00

Thanks for your helpful advice.  I'm going to start shopping and will look carefully at the brands you recommended.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 22nd, 2009 19:00

LG seems to be highly regarded.  Maybe Dell should start putting them in the Vostro.  Thanks also for the directions for removing/installing the drive.  That's very helpful.

Sam 2009

Glad to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!