Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2013 23:00

What is required to install a second SSD in the XPS 8700?

My XPS 8700 has a 32GB SSD set up to be used for cache to support the 2TB hard drive.  I believe the SSD is using the one mSATA slot on the system board.

I'd like to install a second SSD where I would place Win 7 Pro, and my other OS, eComStation.  What do I need in order to install and use a second SSD?  Some type of cage (and screws) to secure the SSD?  Install the cage in one of the remaining drive spaces?  A SATA 3.0 cable?  An adapter from the cable to mSATA?

I saw an SSD advertised that came with the cage and screws.  Do most / all of them come that way?  I'd like to order everything I need at once.

Thanks for your help!

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

September 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi COLINM_CAMPBELL, 

The mSATA drive is installed on the system board and you will be unable to replace it with SSD. Check the below picture, mSATA is circled in red.

You may add an additional SSD to the system and have the Operating system installed on it and have dual boot. As you mentioned in the post, you need to have a bracket or cage to fit the SSD into the HDD slot. In this environment, the mSATA drive will not be used and but can be used as another storage drive. 

No Events found!