Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2006 19:00

Will this thing work for old IDE hard drive?

I am trying to install my old IDE 120GB hard drive (the old kind that with a ribbon cord and 80 ports) as a secondary hard drive to the XPS 400. I realized that XPS 400 uses the SATA format for hard drive. So, I google up and find an adapter like this one

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aa25ide35.asp

will this thing work??

8 Posts

May 26th, 2006 21:00

Check in the setup, if it shows a 120 it should work. I just got on this board to check out something else, so really don't know your computer but if your cmos has auto it should find it.

2 Intern

• 

887 Posts

May 27th, 2006 14:00

when I follow the url you posted it goes to a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter which is not what you want.  You want an sata to ide adapter or pci slot card.

or just get an external usb enclosure for it

Message Edited by xcator on 05-27-200610:45 AM

592 Posts

May 30th, 2006 17:00

@sukiewa wrote:
I am trying to install my old IDE 120GB hard drive (the old kind that with a ribbon cord and 80 ports) as a secondary hard drive to the XPS 400. I realized that XPS 400 uses the SATA format for hard drive. So, I google up and find an adapter like this one

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aa25ide35.asp

will this thing work??

an easy thing to try is to use the IDE optical drive cable if you only have one optical drive. ( a DVD writer and no separate DVD drive) because there are only 2 drives allowed on one IDE channel.

I did this to quickly transfer some files from an old IDE drive to the XPS, then plugged the 2 optical drive back in and left the old hard drive in an old computer.

10 Posts

May 31st, 2006 14:00

I tried to do this also (with an XPS 600) and ran into problems finding a power adapter to go from the SATA-type power supply cables to a 4-pin female ATX-type power connector.  I could find the opposite, to make it so that you can use a SATA HD in an ATX system but no adapters to allow you to use a ATA HD in a SATA II system.

Anyhow, I did what someone else suggested.  Unplugged my DVD drive and plugged the HD in and used a Ultra ATA pci card to get the data I needed transferred. 

Good luck!

No Events found!