Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2009 14:00

XP setup won't let me partition HDD

Okay, I'm not 100% sure if I'm posting this in the right section (as it might be an operating system question), but if I'm totally off please feel free to move it to wherever the right section is...

Anyway, I was given an old Dell Optiplex GX260 the other day and it came with Windows 2000 installed.  I want to install XP to a different partition and make the 2000 partition only big enough to hold that OS (though I don't need it, but you never know).  Whenever I go to install XP though it won't let me.  I get stuck on the screen where it asks what partition I want XP on.  I tried to create a new partition, but it wouldn't let me, and I can't just upgrade 2000 to XP.  Also, I noticed that this hard drive is already partitioned, and it seems to be something that Dell does.  It is a 31 MB FAT partition and it's called EISA Configuration.  Is it necessary to keep that? 

Either way, I really need help with getting XP on this computer.  Win 2k is just too old to be all that useful anymore.  I'm including a screen shot of the disk management screen, if that helps any.

1.6K Posts

January 18th, 2009 15:00

You don't have any free space on the drive to create a new partition.  You'll need a partitioning utility like Acronis Disc Director to shrink the C: partition and make room for another.  You cannot non-destructively partition with XP.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2009 17:00

Okay then, how do I just get rid of 2000 altogether?  I have no need for it anyway.

4.6K Posts

January 19th, 2009 12:00

There are free partitioning programs available, which will allow you to get rid of the extra partition(s) - i.e. Partition Logic, Cute Partition Manager, and Ranish Partition Manager.

But if you boot from the XP disc... (quick-) formatting the hard drive should delete the extra partition(s)?  It did for me anyway?

No Events found!