Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2015 15:00

XPS 17 (L702X) Optical Drive not reading all disks

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit after my HDD failed.  After reinstalling on an SSD my optical drive is having issues recognizing disks.  

• Audio CDs are readable
  • Burned Data CDs are readable
  • An install disk for a printer was recognized, but the drive seemed to be trying too hard to read the disk
  • Game setup disks (Starcraft 1 &2) are both not recognized at all
  • DVDs are not recognized at all
  • Blu Rays are not recognized at all

This drive failed the My Dell Analysis of the drive.  It failed the "CD Linear Read Compare Test"  after passing everything else a Data CD was needed for.  The "CD Audio test" passed, but it never recognized any of the DVDs after that.  The same happened with Blu Rays.  

Windows says that I have updated all of the required drivers.  When I go to the device manager it identifies the optical drive as a "DVD/CD-ROM drives."  If I ask the device manager to search for updates to the driver it says I have the most recent version "CD-ROM Drive."  

I have also gone to Dell's support website and entered my service tag.  I attempted to update the firmware on the drive (4 firmware updates are displayed under "Removable Storage" and I believe it said I had the most recent version already. 

This computer came from Dell with PowerDVD, which I no longer have after the reinstall. I have VLC, which I thought could read DVDs. I really hope that getting the right software isn't my easy, quick fix. I'll feel really stupid (but thankful that you pointed it out!)

I'm "Ok" when it comes to working on my machine, but I'm still learning a lot.  These are my symptoms and what I've tried.  Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to hearing from someone.  Thank you again!

kasmith2020

January 25th, 2015 21:00

I'm using M17X bought in September 09, 4 years still in good performance till having trouble with SATA then ATA HDs. after couple times tried to fix and find out system's hardwares and parts still protected with Bios Core Secure or has been changed. I got in the same situation as yours. Here what you need to do to test and check the parts effected, then ask for supports with your service tag ,specs ,and parts numbers.

1.Use Bios to identify the optical DVD/CD-ROM part still detected with part numbers or not.

2.Diagnostic with Sources CD

These steps will help to make sure your Optical Drives and Hardwares still go with it and protected with the system or has been changed.

I having the same problem since 2012, later some of my friends using differents models and systems like M18X,M15X asked and showed that they haved problems with this Disks Drives problem too.

Good Luck!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 25th, 2015 08:00

lasers in optical drives can and do go bad

No Events found!