Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2007 13:00

XPS 600 Drive letters

Did a clean install of XP this morning om my XPS 600 that I received yesterday. After loading the OS and drivers from the resource CD I noticed that the driver letters changed on the DVD drive (D:) to (H:) and on the DVD-RW (E) to (I:). have done numerous clean installs on my other Dell's and the drive letters remained the same, ie (D), (E). Is this normal for the XPS? Is there a way to change the drive letters back to the original config? Thanks

Dell Dim XPS 600 3.0 ghz
160 gb SATA HD
1gb ram
DVD-ROM (D?)
DVD-RW (E?)
Nvidia 6800 card
On-board sound
On-board network controller
Win XP SP2

2.6K Posts

March 23rd, 2007 14:00

Oh yeah this is easy, right click on My Computer and choose manage from the list box.
THe Computer Management program opens up and it you will see the Storage main section and Disk Managment under it.
In disk management, lower right pane you can right click the drives and change the letters so you can get them like you want them to be.

628 Posts

March 23rd, 2007 20:00

as tphillips63 describes, changing the drive letters is easy. EXCEPT....

the one drive that you cannot change the drive letter on is the drive Windows boots from (typically C:)

175 Posts

March 23rd, 2007 21:00

I forget to mention that this 600 came with a multi-media card reader installed.
The original setup was:
DVD-ROM (D:)|
DVD-RW  (E:)
removable disk (F:)
removable disk (G:)
removable disk (H:)
removable disk (I:)
Went to disk management and when I right clicked on the dvd-rom (H) the box has Add, change, remove. when I clicked change another box poped up with drive letters available, H-Z. D being already assigned to disk 1.
The disk management says:
Disk 1 Removable (D)
Disk 2 removable (E)
Disk 3 removable (F)
Disk 4 removable (G)
DVD-ROM (H)
CD-RW (I)
Does this mean I have to re-assign a new drive letter to each device? Have never encountered this problem before on my other Dells.

628 Posts

March 23rd, 2007 22:00

Yep, you'll have to change them all one by one. You only have to change the letters once, so it's not that big a deal.

It's all basically a result of haing the card reader connected when you install windows.

Next time, just open the case, turn the power off, and disconnect the cable going from the motherboard to the card reader, Turn the system on, install Windows, then turn the system off and recconect the card reader.

175 Posts

March 24th, 2007 09:00

Got the drive letters back to the original config when it was shipped. Thanks guys.
No Events found!