Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2009 00:00

XPS 730x DVD RW drive not recognizing any disks

For some reason my disk drive has stopped recognizing any disks at all.  I have tried multiple different types, from CD's to games, etc.. but nothing will work.

The device says it is working properly.  I have run multiple different virus scans and checked for a driver update however nothing seems to work.

When I do place a disk in the drive what you hear is about every 30 seconds, a quick buzz that sounds like it is searching the disk, but then stops 1 second later.

I posted in general forum and below is the response.  I followed the steps below but it will still not recognize

Uninstall the drive in the Device Manager then restart the PC and Windows/Vista will detect and reinstall it.  This refreshes the status in Windows and fixes a lot of problems.  If this doesn't fix it repost in the Disc Drive section HERE (the forum section for drive problems).

In the Device Manager, RIGHT click on the drive entry and the LEFT Click on "Uninstall".  Then restart the PC.

Any other thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 10th, 2009 06:00

Hi, mrdonc:

Device manager only reports driver issues, so "workling properly" doesn't necesarily mean the drive is actually working.

The next step I would suggest is running the Dell diagnostics to test the drive on a hardware level. Hit F12 on boot and select utlity partition, then pick custom test. Run the READ TEST on your drive with a disc in the drive. Let me know if the drive passes or fails, and any failure codes.

4 Posts

October 11th, 2009 02:00

Here is what I found-

During the read test it stated that the CD does not have any data tacks.  It of course does, however I switched CD's just n case and received the same error.

During the final test this is what came up

Error Code OFOO:2876  Msg DVDRW_32  Drive Spindle Self Test Failed

Interestingly after hitting f12 and moving on my way to the custom test, before I got to that option the computer showed this

Test Results: Drive Initialization Error  Error Code 5DOO:0009  Msg UUTUSBTM- Device_Intialization_Failure

Not sure if those are related

Thanks again for your help here

4 Posts

October 12th, 2009 22:00

Just wanted to see if anyone has encountered this before.  From my research online it appears that I am going to need a new drive

10.9K Posts

October 13th, 2009 06:00

The error codes you have received indicates the drive is
failing or already has failed.  You are correct, the drive
needs to be replaced.

No Events found!