Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2016 17:00

XPS 8500 - Replacing HDD and SSD

I'm looking to upgrade storage on my my Dell XPS 8500... My question here is two-fold:

1. I want to replace my current 2TB HDD (storage drive) with either a 4TB or 5TB HDD. Will I be able to use and see the full 4-5TB? Or is this a case where I won't be able to utilize the whole drive or will need to partition? Is there a BIOS update that will allow me full access to the drive?

2. I'm also looking to replace my 256GB mSATA SSD (boot drive) with a 500GB mSATA SSD... will there be any issue reading that drive once it's installed (plan to do a clean Windows install and reload my programs)?

Thanks for your help. Hoping to upgrade soon, but didn't want to purchase until I knew what I was getting into.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

July 28th, 2016 02:00

Its a fairly new machine with a UEFI BIOS so it should be fine... If you have already upgraded to Windows 10 then your system is already a Windows 10 Device and you should be able to clean install Windows 10 on the new SSD. If you haven't you should upgrade now as the Free Upgrade expires tomorrow.#

You should use AHCI as the SATA operation. I assume you have your system already setup this way as you have a 256 GB mSATA already.

2 Posts

July 28th, 2016 08:00

Thanks so much!  I appreciate the quick response!  I have already upgraded to Windows 10 and will be creating an install disk soon.

No Events found!