Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 9th, 2014 13:00

XPS 8500 drives (SSD and HDD)

I have an XPS8500 that I bought new from Dell a little over a year ago. It came with a 256 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. When I got it I noticed the SSD was the C: drive and the HDD was the D: drive.

I called Tech Support at the time and asked if the SSD wouldn't fill up quickly, since Documents and Music are mapped to C:. The tech person said, no, the Intel software would automatically move little-used files to the D: drive, and keep frequently used files on the C: drive.

Well, I've finally filled up the SSD and nothing is moving to D: Was the advice I got from Dell Support incorrect, or is there a way to make that work? If not I can manually remap the music folder over to the HDD.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 10th, 2014 04:00

Hi Steve8500,

You need to move your document folders to the D drive. Here is a link to some help. Not sure who told you Windows does this automatically, but it doesn't.

With a 256GB SSD, you should have plenty of room for the operating system and applications.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 9th, 2014 17:00

Well, I've finally filled up the SSD and nothing is moving to D: Was the advice I got from Dell Support incorrect, or is there a way to make that work? If not I can manually remap the music folder over to the HDD.

Which version of Windows is this? With Windows 7, it's easy to add extra folders to the library groups, but I haven't tried it with 8.X.

3 Posts

January 9th, 2014 17:00

It's Windows 7.

3 Posts

January 10th, 2014 09:00

Hi Osprey4,

Thanks, that helps. I will move some of my folders over to D:

Steve

1 Message

March 17th, 2014 09:00

I've taken delivery of an XPS 8500 with a 2Tb SATA & 32Gb SSD; the 2Tb is seen as C: (OS) & the SSD is seen as D: (data). so questions;

• Should this be the other way around?
  • Is the SSD used only as a cache, or can i use it as a drive as normal? I can copy files to it
  • The OS has installed on C: (the 2Tb SATA) ideally I want OS on SSD and data on SATA, how can I move the data and change the boot order?

Many thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 17th, 2014 17:00

Hi Billm111,

The 32GB SSD is too small for your operating system, so it can be used for storage. But you'll get better system performance if you set it up as a cache.

No Events found!