Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2016 10:00

XPS 8700 with LiteOn mSATA - not recognized

Hello! I have an XPS 8700 from 2013 that has a 2TB HDD with a 32GB mSATA LiteOn drive.  I believe it is supposed to be managed by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software.  I am now getting warnings from the IRST stating "SATA SSD on Controller 0, Port 5: Incompatible"

Going onto the Dell Support website I found a driver for the device that says it would "Fixed SSD not detected under specific conditions."  I downloaded the driver, but when I went to run it the driver itself could not even detect the device on the computer to run it.  

Going further into IRST, the troubleshooting section had this advice:

"In this situation, volume data is accessible to the operating system and can be backed up, but the volume cannot operate because your system does not support its RAID configuration.

Here are your options:
■ Reconnect the volume to the computer where the volume was originally created and continue using it.
■ Delete the volume, and then create a new volume with a RAID configuration that is supported by the current system."

I have no idea how to do these things.  I'm pretty good at following directions and have fixed issues before, but when the computer isn't even showing the drive I'm not sure what to do here.  If I can't see it, how do I back it up, delete it, or anything else?  Any help?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 9th, 2016 13:00

Ok, in order to enable the cache, you'll need the controller set to RAID. See how to change SATA mode after Windows is installed. Once you're able to boot into Windows, you should see the option to enable acceleration on the SSD.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 9th, 2016 10:00

Hi PolishHammer,

Please check a couple things in the BIOS for me. First, is the mSATA SSD recognized in drives. And second, what is the controller mode? It should be RAID, not AHCI.

I hope I'm answering this correctly.  Second question first, it is in AHCI.  When I tried to boot in RAID I got a blue screen message saying it couldn't boot up.  As far as recognizing the mSATA SSD, that's a little tricky.  When the IRST software is on, that is the only way you'd even know it existed.  It doesn't show as a named/lettered drive under "This PC" in Windows Explorer.  When I uninstall IRST, you still don't see it in explorer, but you can see it if you were to right click on C drive, then click Properties, and then click on the Hardware tab - it is listed among those disk drives.  With IRST installed you can't even see it listed there.  I will reboot into the BIOS and try to see if there is any way to view drives there, but I think when I went into it before and looked at, for instance, boot order - it wasn't there independently.

Thanks!  That link shows how to make the change in Win 7 & 8...any place you recommend on how to change it for Win 10?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 9th, 2016 14:00

I found this step-by-step procedure.

Looks similar to your instructions but provides a bit more detail that may be helpful. Try that.

April 9th, 2016 14:00

Alright, I took an educated guess and followed the directions for Win 8 and it seemed to work.  Now the IRST software is recognizing the drive appropriately.  

HOWEVER, under the "Performance" tab of the software I now see this message:

"The accelerated disk or volume associated with the cache device is inaccessible, and the overall performance is no longer optimized.  Please power off your computer, and then reconnect the accelerated disk or volume.  if the device cannot be reconnected, disassociate the cache by removing the logical connection with the missing accelerated disk or volume."

Under that there is an "Acceleration Configuration" section where it says "Accelerated device: Inaccessible" (with a link next to it that says Disassociate I can click on, and then "Acceleration mode: Enhanced"

Should I follow these instructions from the Help section of the program?

1. Click 'Performance', and then click 'Disassociate' in the Intel® Smart Response Technology page.
2. In the 'Disassociate' dialog, click 'Yes' to confirm.
3. The page refreshes and the Acceleration View reports the new configuration. Options to reset the solid-state drive to available or to select a new device to accelerate (as long as an eligible disk or volume is available) are now available.

April 9th, 2016 15:00

I think I am good to go now.  Thanks so much for all of your help!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 10th, 2016 16:00

Perfect! Good to hear.

No Events found!