Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2009 20:00

XPS 9000: Blu Ray palyback stutters and glitchy

Can anyone help with this. Sounds like there might be a patch or firmware upgrade out there to fix this.  My brand new XPS 9000 (two days old) is very glitchy with Blu Ray playback using the PowerDVD DX version 8.3.  I have tried a couple of Blue Rays and it does it consistantly.

CyberLink Power DVD DX 8_3 (BD version) 8.3 09/25/2009

CyberLink Power DVD DX 8_3 (BD version) 8.3 09/25/2009

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 4th, 2009 07:00

Hi, Rickcable:

There was a long discussion about this issue in another thread. The problem turned out to be the Dell Datasafe utility. Get rid of that and your problem should be solved. Alternatively, if you are actually using this, there is likely some configuration option in Dell Datasafe to ignore removable media.

Please let me know if that worked!! We need to track issues to help Dell fix these sorts of problems.

4 Posts

December 5th, 2009 23:00

Thanks for the tip.

I had a Dell tech remote in to take a look and all he did was download updated video drivers from NVIDIA and that did seem to help a little.

I also did as you suggested and removed that Dell Datasafe and watched the same Blu Ray movie and this time zero stuttering.

Again thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I would have used the Datasafe anyway.

Regards,
Rick

3 Posts

February 7th, 2010 07:00

maybe a tadd late but I had the same problem with my Dell XPS 1645. Removing the Dell Datasafe software worked perfectly. Blu Ray movies can play smooth now and the Blu Ray Rom doesn't stutter anymore during playback.

Thx for this thread. Dell should bring out a patch for this.

11 Posts

April 11th, 2010 13:00

I bought a new Dell Studio XPS 9000 with a Blu-Ray RE writable drive a month ago.

I experienced precisely the same "stuttering" on playback of Blu-Ray films that the other posters on this thread described. It would pause occasionally while playing a blu-ray movie.

I called Dell tech support several weeks ago. Tech support (1) reinstalled the drivers and after that failed (2) ordered a replacement drive, which was installed. The replacement drive did not fix the problem (although, after tech support modified the registry, I get a message about missing CD burning drivers every time I start iTunes, and indeed my optical player also cannot write CDs, but I assume this is another problem entirely).

Neither tech support nor the service technician who installed the new Blu-Ray drive stated that the same problem had been encountered by others, nor did they mention the proposed "remove DataSafe fix" that some posters here suggest.

Rather than continuing trying to troubleshoot the non-working optical drive, I simply purchased an external consumer Blu-Ray player and use that to watch movies, plugged directly into the HDMI input of my monitor.

4 Posts

April 11th, 2010 15:00

I had the same problem.  Sombody sent me a suggestion that seemed to work.  There is a Dell application or utility that I had to disable and that seemed to fix my problem.  The program shipped with the Dell and I think it was for backup or remote assistance.  I can't remember what it was called but it had "Dell" in the name.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 12th, 2010 18:00

Dell Datasafe, as I mentioned above.

1 Message

September 17th, 2010 16:00

Uninstall DataSafe....both online and local.  I was experiencing bad stuttering with blu-ray.  I took the advice of the folks on this thread and uninstalled all DataSafe apps.  After the uninstall, I was able to play Avatar straight through without a single hiccup.  Prior to the uninstall, I couldn't go more than 10-20 minutes before a 'stutter attack' occurred.

No Events found!