Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

March 9th, 2004 14:00

XPS B800R DVD ROM Drive

I have a XPS B800R and would like to upgrade the drivers for the DVD ROM drive.The drive is a Samsung SD612 but on the Samsung website it lists 5 drivers but all have a suffix E/B/F/SE which mine clearly does not.My question is how do I find out which is the right driver? I have called technical support but were unable to provide any help.Can anyone advise?   

15.3K Posts

March 9th, 2004 17:00

Hi Zooper,
The drivers are generic to your Operating System, so unless you find updates from Microsoft`s Windows Update site, you should not need any.
Now if you are talking about "firmware", then you should check Dell`s File Library for them.
I have the link for the Samsung 612 listed on the CD/RW site, click on the CD/RW gif in my post and scroll to Section 5-1, you will find it there.
A note: the majority of our Regulars tend to believe in the old saying, "If it isn`t broken, don`t fix it" theory in regards to flashing the drive. Try the firmware if the drive is giving you problems or the firmware corects an issue or adds support in a particular feature.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

2 Posts

April 20th, 2004 11:00

Well I do believe it is 'broken'.It plays audio CD's fine but a meessge that asks to put disk in drive D comes up everytime I try to play a DVD.This could be something to do with the fact that I upgraded from W98 to W2k and it worked okay with W98.Will the firmware resolve this? 
No Events found!