Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2013 14:00

XPS L510X TSST DVD drive not working (drive tray doesn't even open)

I'm experiencing serious issues with the installed TSST DVD drive of my XPS L510X laptop. The drive is not recognized by Windows 7 (read some articles on updating the firmware). But even worse (?) the drive itself doesn't show any signs of being operational in the first place. Pressing the eject button doesn't open the drive (only the mechanical one using a long pin does so). I never use the DVD drive and I even can't recall if I've ever used it. I'm at least aware of this problem since last year when I couldn't install an upgrade of my virus scanner. But, since warrenty was expired anyway I ignored it. Now I need the drive again but still not working. 

In some other posts it was mentioned to check the connectors. So I uninstalled the drive, saw nothing strange but heard a rattling noise inside the drive. I opened the drive and I was surprised to see a loose screw in there! It was a small one which is supposed to fix the PCB to the casing. I can't imagine this being the result of usage of the laptop. So probably it's a production error! Even worse that I didn't find this out while the warrenty was still valid.

I have no idea if the loose screw has anything to do with the drive not working? Could have caused a short-circuit inside the drive perhaps? If so, I'm worried if I replace the drive, it still won't work. 

Could there be another issue that I can check? I obviously did the PC Diagnostics but the drive doesn't show up in the first place so it's also not checked.

Hope anyone can help! 

1.5K Posts

July 30th, 2013 14:00

Hi corne_k,

You may check in system BIOS if the optical drive is getting detected or not. Please follow the steps below:

• Power on the system and tap 3-4 times at Dell logo to enter BIOS.
  • The optical drive should be listed under ‘Main’ as SATA ODD.

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and press F12 to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight Diagnostics and press Enter
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error

If the issue is with the optical drive and you are residing in the US, you may contact dell spares at 1-800-372-3355 or you can get it from a local store.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

3 Posts

July 31st, 2013 14:00

Dear Amogh G,

I checked your suggestions:

- No optical drive present in the BIOS (I wondered before were it was supposed to be)

- Used the diagnostics tool during boot but it doesn't result in any errors? Also can't find options to check optical drives in the tool (when it finalized the initial testing and goes to the graphical interface)? Probably because the system (BIOS) doesn't find one in the first place?

Any suggestions? Is there a way to test the drive itself? Eg, by removing it from the laptop and connecting it to an external power supply (what pins/what voltage); I have lab supplies available if needed...

Corne

1.5K Posts

August 1st, 2013 13:00

Hi Corne,

It seems this is a hardware issue. You may change the screw and check if the optical drive is getting detected. If this doesn’t work then you need to replace the optical drive.

Please feel free to reply for any further assistance. I will be glad to assist you.

3 Posts

August 2nd, 2013 05:00

What screw should I replace? The screw that holds the drive? Is that somehow used in the detection of the drive?

About replacing the drive; that's ok for me (too bad for the cost since it seems like a production error to me) but I'm afraid that if indeed it's a short-circuit issue, perhaps more (outside the drive) is broken as well? Perhaps the drive is not even broken, but only some fuse in the power supply. Hence my question if it's possible to connect it to an external power supply to test if there is any response?

Thx for your feedback!

1.5K Posts

August 2nd, 2013 17:00

Hi Corne,

I regret for the inconvenience. You may connect the optical drive with the external power supply by using an external enclosure for it. Although it seems the issue is with the drive itself.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

No Events found!