Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2005 02:00

XPS T700 Install new HD Questions

Bought a WD 80gb HD because I thought the IBM OEM installed was dying.  Ran Hitachi HD heath utility and it says OEM HD healthy.  Want to change anyway. Want to take out old one and install new in the same place and then clean install XP.  When installing XP, will it pick up the keyboard & mouse (both MS products) so I can use them immediately to install software on the new HD.  Should I download all the drivers I'll need and save them in folders on the old HD.  HP fax/printer and lots others did not work after I upgraded to XP from 98.  Still haven't gotten Norton anti Vir Pro to work.  Should I make the same download effort for Netscape, Opera etc and put  the installation programs into folders on the old HD and drag to new.  Was then going to install old HD as a slave.  From other postings it seem I should be able to drag everything to the new.  Is that right.  Will it be necessary to reenter all progams (Office, etc.) or can they be dragged/transferred operationally from the old HD.  After new was up and running, intend to clean/format old HD and keep for storage.  If old HD dies when its a slave, will it crash the new one.  If yes, don't think I'll keep it for storage.  Thanks for any advice and for all previous help  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 6th, 2005 09:00

You cannot simply copy the contents of one drive to the other. You will need to use the Data Lifeguard Tools that WD supplies (either on a diskette with the drive, or you can download them) to do that job.

22 Posts

January 6th, 2005 13:00

Thank you ejn63.  Never have done this before.  Just upgraded to a PowerLeap 1.3 Celeron and breathed a sigh of relief when the change went flawlessly.  Sons keep telling me to do a clean install and I have read as many posts as I can on the subject.  Pros such as yourself all seem to agree.  Was afraid if I used the copy facility supplied by WD, I'd also copy all the "nits" that a clean install is supposed to "clean" up. Is that  info right/wrong?  Willing to go through the ardor of reentering all software anew and that was part of the reason that i was wondering it it were better to download/save updated drivers, fixes, patches etc before starting out.  Perhaps economically silly, but  upgraded OS from 98, memory and processory.  Hardware/memory/processor came in for under $200.  Paid over $3000 for this baby in 1999 and would just like to keep it reasonably operational till the kids finish college.  Each one of those rascals, of course, has the latest notebook with every bell and whistle imaginable.  Regards and thanks again, Bill 

3.2K Posts

January 6th, 2005 20:00

A clean install will defanately give you a more stable and effecient system.  This is a really good guide to do that on a Dell.  Unless you have significantly changed the configuration, XP will load all the drivers for thatr system.. including the chipset drivers .

Be sure and update to the newest BIOS . . click on Product Support at the top left of this page and navigate to your model to download them. 

wrs
No Events found!