Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 29th, 2016 10:00

add new boot drive to menu

New 2016 Inspiron desktop Windows 10; cloned to Samsung SSD. Original Dell HD is not attached.

Will not boot; F2 does not show the SSD so I cannot change the boot order. F2 shows Windows Boot Manager first and then two NICs.

F12 does allow booting from the new SSD and works perfectly. In F2 bios when I try to add the SSD (it is seen as Samsung SSD part2) I get these menus:

Return Boot menu

EFI   (if I chose EFI I get this …)

Return Boot Menu

<.>

<..>

System volume Information   (if I chose I get …)

Return Boot Menu

<.>

<..>

No idea what all these menu selections mean; what do I do to add this SSD to boot menu?

November 9th, 2016 09:00

Hi,

Appreciate your efforts. Thank you for retrying those steps and sharing it here.

Community Manager

• 

2.1K Posts

June 10th, 2021 10:00

Check this vídeo:

If is not showing in the boot menu you should consider testing the SSD on another computer to make sure it's working.

October 31st, 2016 09:00

Hello highwayman9,

This the normal behavior when you have UEFI BIOS. Please refer http://dell.to/2eUbPo1 follow steps on how to add a boot device. Let us know if it helps.

October 31st, 2016 10:00

that does not help

i had already reviewed that entry on my own

it is how to add a CD/DVD

and the menus are not at all like mine, as I described them in my post

my BIOS does not look like that

my BIOS has options that I don't understand

November 1st, 2016 09:00

Hi,

Please confirm the system model and the current BIOS version. Let me check these settings on my end and see what needs to be done.

Because the steps via the link provided earlier worked on few BIOS to add a HDD. However, please send me the above requested details we will have this tried on our end and let you know what needs to be done.

November 4th, 2016 10:00

Dell Inspiron 3650

BIOS AMI 3.2.3

Fixed HDD Samsung SSD EVO 250GB

SATA ODD  HL-DT-ST DVD+/-RW GU90N

Second HDD  None

Third HDD      None

November 4th, 2016 11:00

Thank for the details. I will have these options checked and keep you informed.

Please do not post any service tag or personal details on public. Please delete/edit the post as it has the service tag. If you would like to send any details like service tag or any personal information.

please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message.

November 8th, 2016 10:00

I got it!

i was inspired to try again because got a message to update Dell updated BIOS; i did

then on the F2 menu there was:

Return Boot menu

EFI   (if I chose EFI I get this …)

Return Boot Menu

<.>

<..>

I don't remember being there before; I tried it; then i saw a selection with a name like boot.64 (don't remember exactly) but it looked like something I had seen in my research

anyway i selected it then a name box comes up which means name the option being added to the boot menu; i did and then the menu showed:

Windows Boot manager

NIC 1

SSD Samsung (my name I selected)

NIC 2

not sure why it added third, but anyway changed the boot order and voila!

summary: after selecting file browser, chose then the file that looks something like boot.64, then name your added drive, then fix the order to suit you

problem solved

3 Posts

October 27th, 2018 11:00

same problem here.

1 Message

July 13th, 2019 13:00

I burnt about 6 hours trying to move to m.2 SSD and dorked up my MS boot menu with EasyBCD.

This seems like something a lot of people would need to do.  So why make them dig around on the internet for some obscure posting instead of having documentation on setting up bios?

-Darryl

1 Message

October 17th, 2019 13:00

These instructions really help me with an Alienware R3 and adding in a Samsung 970 EVO.

Thanks!!!!

5 Posts

July 7th, 2020 14:00

Thank you so much! I have been tearing my hair out. I needed to wipe clean and reinstall Windows. I made the ISO with the media creation tool, but no matter what I did, I couldn't get the dang computer to boot from it. It did appear in the list, but just wouldn't work! I've spent all day and this was the first post with directions detailed enough to allow me to add it to the BIOS. A million kudos!

October 18th, 2020 19:00

Thank you for this solution! I upgraded this Dell laptop to an m.2 drive and I've spent hours trying to get it to boot from the correct device.

The BIOS is full of typos, such as 'Return Boot Menu' and it's really not obvious what some of those options do.

The BIOS will automatically add options for NIC1 & NIC2, or IPv4 + IPv6, etc. but as long as they are lower in the boot priority list it won't matter. Also, Windows 10 may automatically add a 'Windows Boot Manager" to the list, but in my case the WBM isn't working, so I put it lower on the boot priority list.

April 27th, 2021 02:00

trying to do the same but no luck....

1 Message

May 14th, 2021 19:00

F's in chat for this BS! Never again.

No Events found!