Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 24th, 2012 17:00

can no longer use CD/DVD to burn songs from Itunes but dvd/cd burner works for other applications.

I have a Inspiron 17R N7110 laptop with Windows 7 installed. Everything was working great until I noticed a couple of days ago that my CD/DVD was missing.

It is a PLDS DVDRWBD DS-6E2SH. I modified the registry by deleting the UpperFilters and LowerFilters as per Microsoft and then I could see the dvd drive again but I still cannot use it in itunes. It talks about the registry settings missing and no recording software found. I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes multiple times - I have the latest version installed. I have uninstalled Roxio burner and reinstalled and also tried ImgBurn as someone recommended - that did not help. I see people have reported this problem since 2008. Any thoughts about how to get it working again. When I check the device in devices in the control panel it says it is working properly and that the device driver is up to date although it is from microsoft from 6/21/2006 - seems pretty old.  Thanks in advance for any help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 25th, 2012 03:00

Hi tkineagan,

When you delete the upper and lower filters, it's usually necessary to reinstall any burning applications. Try that and let me know if that fixes your problem.

By the way, all optical drives use the same generic drivers, so that's not a problem.

2 Posts

November 25th, 2012 08:00

I uninstalled DVD burner software and itunes and reinstalled the factory dvd software from Dell Roxio creator which had been working. I then reinstalled itunes. Same error - starting up itunes it says registry settings are missing. It also says

there is no DVD/CD burning software installed, however the DVD works fine and it works with other applications, just not itunes.

I see that LowerFilters is back and contains PxHlpa64

Do you know whether UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters should be in the registry key and what they should contain?

I read on google that Itunes needs a driver from GearWorks.

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 25th, 2012 14:00

Yes, this is a typical conflict between iTunes and Roxio. If you want to burn discs using iTunes, then get something else besides Roxio to burn other disc types, or just use the built-in Windows burning utility.

You might want to check with the iTunes forum for ideas.

No Events found!