Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2010 12:00

cd drive shot

Hi.  I would like to replace the cd drive that came with my computer.  It is not working and, after doing some investigating on the Samsung website, it is not something that can be repaired.  I would prefer replacing it with something similar, an internal rather than external drive but I have no idea what I am looking for and what my computer will support. I have come across talk about SATA and PATA and E-IDE drives. This is over my head! I've been told to get a DVD, not CD drive.  I've also been told that it is not the specific drive that is important but rather the software that comes with it.  I need some direction and clarification. I have a Dell Dimension 8300 that is fine for what I need and is about 6 years old. Any suggestions?

139 Posts

February 16th, 2010 13:00

I'd go with an IDE drive.  Cheap and does the trick, easy to install and will work with your system.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 17th, 2010 12:00

It is completely irrelevant what is "on its way" out. Your PC takes a IDE CD drive. Buy that type. End of story.

6 Posts

February 17th, 2010 12:00

Thanks for getting back to me, Yottabyte.

I have been looking into this with the help of other formus as well and I am having a hard time understanding the lingo.  That's why I figured I'd come to Dell since that is the computer I have.  It had been suggested that I not use an E-IDE since it is on its way out and that a SATA drive would be okay.  If not that, then I should consider a USB.  The searches I've done are still over my head.  I am not clear on IDE or SATA.  I know what they stand for but I don't understand the concepts behind them really.  I just want something that I can burn docs, pics and music to and be able to view the same.  I need someone to dumb this down for me!  Thanks for additional help!

No Events found!