Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 17th, 2015 07:00

clone of hybrid disk?

I have a Dell XPS 8700 tower with a 2T ST2000DM001-1ch 32 Gb ssd hybrid HD. I wish to clone this disk using say DiskWizard or Macrium Reflect to a second ST2000DM001 disk to be installed in the same tower. I am having difficulty getting definitive information via Google on the effect of the SSD cache on the cloning process. Any information would be greatly appreciated - particularly actual success/failure of such an endeavor.   

Note:  I originally posted this in the desk top section.  I'm a newbie, with hind sight,  disk drives seemed to be a better site to post - I apologize for the redundancy.

TX Duane

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 17th, 2015 10:00

Duane

I have been cloning Seagate's Hybrid hard drives for a year, using Acronis TI, [w/Win 8.1] and lately with AOMEI Backupper Standard, [w/Win 10] without any issues.

Bev.

3 Posts

August 17th, 2015 11:00

Bev:

Thanks so much for the discrete information.  I am on 8.1 but was also wondering about win 10.  I will give AOMEI Backkupper Standard a try.  I would still like to know if Macrium Reflect worked for anyone (I like their GUI at lease relative to that of Acronis).

TX again,

BTW...That's an awful fuzzy looking cat.

Duane 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 17th, 2015 13:00

Duane,

Bubbles is a Maine Coon long hair Calico cat, that loves water.

Bev.

3 Posts

August 17th, 2015 17:00

I had a Smartdrive - drive failing warning on my Dell 2710's 2TB hybrid hard drive.

I was able to clone the failing drive to a new 2TB hybrid HD provided by Dell under warranty using Acronis TrueImage's utilities tool.  I was concerned that while Windows 7 was "seeing" and describing the drive as a "single" drive C:\ along with a software partitioned "Recovery" drive, physically in Computer Management the Seagate drive was listed as a 1.8Gig +/- hard drive, and also as a smaller "Samsung SSD" from whom I assume Seagate was/is getting the SSD portion of their Hybrid Drive system.  Acronis' clone program seems to have worked fine - the cloned drive was substituted into the Dell 2710 system and booted to the old desktop immediately. 

The glitch however, is somehow, someplace the system has also, in addition to the original Drive0, now developed a, claimed, 2nd drive, Drive1 which is described as an @ 29GIg NFST formatted (?) stand alone drive which Windows has assigned the drive letter "E:\" and into, or on which either Acronis TrueImage, or Norton360's backup programs have been attempting to backup the OS boot drive, C:\

Any help with removing the, as far as I know, NON-EXISTANT physical "Drive1" would be appreciated.

Thanks

No Events found!