Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2007 16:00

copying msvcrt.dll file from Dell Reinstall CD WIN98SE on Latitude

Had Explorer error message that indicated that there was an invalid page fault in module EXPLORER>EXE at 0167: address. Am using article that was previously called Q 302756 Error Message when starting windows

Using the command prompts  I can get to the extract command but It cannot open  the required file. The worksheet says that the command line should be 
extract/a C:\ windows\options\cabs  when you are using this CD rather than D:\ win98 which you would use with a commercial WIN98SE CD
However it comes back that it cannot open C:\
Any help would be appreciated.

2.2K Posts

July 5th, 2007 02:00

Is this file missing or corrupt? I cannot help with the extraction but I use to just use another computer that has win98 SE on it and copy the file. Then just copy that on the laptop where it should be. Always worked fine for me with these type problems.

23 Posts

July 5th, 2007 22:00

Actually I remembered taking that tactic a previous time as I have found the Reinstall CD very hard to work with. SO I did manage to copy the file using a floppy. However it still comes up with the same error message.'cannot open Explorer......... and when you click on Details it says that the msvcrt.dll file is corrupt or missing.

2.2K Posts

July 6th, 2007 21:00

What folder did you copy the file to? I remember having a problem with a customer's computer once very similar to this. He had gotten a virus that renamed those sort of files and all I could do was fdisk the drive, format, then reinstall 98 se. Might turn out to be your only option. Sometimes it's a faster option as one can spend many hours sometimes trying to correct a problem. If you decide to go the format route be sure you fdisk the drive first. Shut the computer off for several minutes to allow the memory to clear. That would make sure no virus if any still resides in memory.

23 Posts

July 7th, 2007 02:00

No virus involved as the computer is never on internet. Used as a chartplotter on a boat. I am hoping to try to avoid a reformat as there are files I need to save first. Wondered about going to a previous registry entry vic scnreg but don't know. Do you lose data entered between then and the current date/ reall appreciate your help.

2.2K Posts

July 7th, 2007 02:00

Ok, but have seen a virus get on a computer even with software bought from a store. But I am sure you know and you probably do not have anything. You mean doing a restore using scanreg /restore command and restoring to a saved registry file? Man, I cannot be positive but I believe you would lose programs installed after that saved file. Now the problem with that is a corrupt file may not be overwritten and remain corrupt. Usually if I remember correctly it only replaces files that are missing from when the files was saved. So you may well lose data. But maybe a program like Office Word would keep data you entered.

Can you not get to a dos command and do a dir /p on the hd and copy your data?

23 Posts

July 8th, 2007 00:00

Re virus: Oh yes I have experienced that on my own computer. Biggest nastiest virus I ever had was from installing a Berlitz Conversational Spanish CD.
Re hubby's. Nothing new on it. Was installing a WIFi card which i have had for years so his COULD connect to internet. I cleaned out the temporary files folder and Kaboom!
Have researched new error message in Microsoft...# 315654. It givves detailed instuctions re uninstalling and reinstalling Explorer but they talk about Explorer 5 and it is Explorer 6 on the little Latitude. I don't know whether to proceed and substitute Explorer 6 or not.
Re your suggestion. Yes I can get to command prompt .that is how I copied the msvcrt file but I am unfamiliar with the command you are suggesting. sounds interesting. What will it do?

2.2K Posts

July 8th, 2007 02:00

Ok, you can learn more about scanreg /restore here: You may have to copy and paste the link in the address bar. I can send more links if needed

Found a better link telling you how to run it.

And another great link. This should do it.

http://www.geocities.com/~budallen/scanreg.html

Message Edited by dbramlet on 07-07-2007 10:25 PM

2.2K Posts

July 8th, 2007 02:00

So this started after you cleaned the temporary internet files?
The scanreg /restore was a way to restore your computer to an earlier date and has to be run from the dos prompt and not shelling to dos. There isn't always a restore point you can use but if you get lucky there will be a couple there once you type this command from dos. Now, if the scanreg.exe is not in the dos folder then it will not be a valid command. But I am pretty sure it is on the 98 se. You could do a dir /p of the dos folder and see if it is there. Might even be in the dir of the  C drive. Cannot remember. But I think this was the beginning of the system restore now in XP. First thing to do is to boot to the dos prompt and type the command and see what you get back. If you get an invalid command let me know and we can get you the scanreg.exe but truth is if it isn't there you won't have any saved points. But it should be on win 98 se. I can get you a better explanation and will do so and post it here.

23 Posts

July 11th, 2007 21:00

Yes I have already entered the command and there are 2 entries. Unfortunately the newest one is 2005 ( I have been battling cancer the last 2 years) so nothing much done on it for 2 years. However I had done some important work on it just before this crash and it is this information I am concerned about losing if I use the 2005 reg date. That was why I was interested in attempting the Microsoft solution but do not know if it is appropriate since computer is not running 5.0  or 5.5 . It has 6.0 with the service pack.
No Events found!