Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2010 15:00

critical driver update for SATA drive will not install

I went to DELL support looked for driver updates. I have a noisy SATA drive, so thought there might be an upgrade that might help. It runs a list using my computer id code and comes up with recommendations. In this is an urgent upgrade for SATA drive, R185781. Sounds good, so I download and run install. But the install simply says that my computer does not meet the requirements for the upgrade. How can this be when it recommended the urgent upgarde to me! Any ideas.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 26th, 2010 09:00

You are mistaken about this driver. It is not for your hard drive. It says Driver Format: hard drive which means it is to be applied after downloading to your hard drive. The driver is for the Intel Matrix Storage manager. Hard drives don't need driver updates. Windows will apply the correct drivers.

All the recommended drivers are not for your computer even if you use your own tag. It is for all configurations for your model and only for certain operating systems. You need to know what hardware you actually have, not apply everything listed on the download page. Read all the instructions on the download page after expanding each one. Under Compatibility it says:

Operating systems--Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit
 Systems:   Inspiron Desktop 530
Inspiron Desktop 530S

881 Posts

September 26th, 2010 09:00

Noise from a hard drive is never good! No driver or firmware or software is going to help. Back up any files that are important to you. I'm willing to bet the drive is at best sick and more probably about to die.

The good news is that at the moment huge good quality SATA hard drives are inexpensive. Start looking around - I am afraid you will need one sooner rather than later.

Jeff :emotion-22:

No Events found!