Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2009 17:00

dell vostro 1700 , no bootable devices prob

hi am in need of help i recently got a vostro 1700 laptop of my friend his old hdd had alot of problems basically his hdd was on its way to hdd heaven so i purchsed a new fujitsu 160gb hdd and installed it the bios recognises the hdd but when i turn the laptop on it comes up in black screen with no bootable devices strike f1 to retry boot f2 for setup and f5 for diagnostics

what am i doing wrong i have set up in bios cd drive boot first hdd scnd , i can not even install new os plz help anyone out there

7 Posts

im trying to boot from the os disc but no luck the disc runs but then the black screen comes up with no bootable devices etc i have used another cd erd commander bootable disk and have partioned the hdd and formated it but then it somes times does no show the hdd..im just baffled as this is a new hdd purchsed...i dnt know thanks for your reply

7 Posts

yes i have but the same thing is hapning,

im trying to boot from the os disc but no luck the disc runs but then the black screen comes up with no bootable devices etc i have used another cd erd commander bootable disk and have partioned the hdd and formated it but then it somes times does no show the hdd..im just baffled as this is a new hdd purchsed...i dnt know thanks for your replys

14.4K Posts

If there is no OS installed on the drive then it is indeed a non boot able device.

what you need to do is install your OS. How you do this is to put the disk into your optical drive and boot the computer. When you see the Dell splash screen press the F12 to access the boot menu. At the boot menu you select the option to boot from the onboard  CD/DVD drive.

See HERE. Since your are installing clean start at step # 3

7 Posts

yes i am booting from os disck, and not fron hdd as it has no os but nothing happens it just goes black and say no bootable devices

14.4K Posts

Did you try using the F12 option. A lot of times just changing the boot order in the bios does not work

7 Posts

November 5th, 2009 17:00

any answers ppl any help im stuck with a laptop that cant do nothing

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 8th, 2009 06:00

Hi, Tanny1:

Are you using a Dell reinstallation disc?

7 Posts

November 8th, 2009 13:00

hi no ive lost the dell reinstallation disc , im trying to do a fresh xp os install on a new 160gb hdd and im having so may probs it dsnt boot the windows xp cd at all it runs it as i can hear it spinn but then after 10 scnds it just shows no bootable devices i have set up cd drive first boot, hd scnd boot, any ideas thanks for replying

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 9th, 2009 16:00

There may be a problem with that disc. My suggestion would be to borrow a Dell XP reinstallation disc from a friend and see if you can get this going.

No Events found!