Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2015 08:00

dvd drive not working properly

I am working on a friend's inspiron 531 which had problems with the dvd drive. Originally the dvd rom drive was working ok including autoplay, but the dvd-rw drive was not working right (lots of problems reading disks and autoplay would work). I replaced the dvd-rw drive with a new one (oem drive bought online) and now the drive works fine, reads all disks and autoplay works.

Strangely, the other dvd rom drive autoplay has stopped working. Opening windows explorer did not show the disk details and the green bar still progressing at the top.

The sata setting in BIOS shows sata 1+2.....is that right??

The computer is running vista sp2.

Does anyone know how I can get both dvd drives to work properly? Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 14th, 2015 11:00

Hi Dawcha,

So you now have a DVD-RW (new) and DVD-ROM (old), correct? And apart from the autoplay issue, is the DVD-ROM drive reading either DVDs or CDs at all?

3 Posts

August 14th, 2015 15:00

Yes the dvd-rw is a new one and the dvd-rom is the old one. The dvd-rom seems to be taking a longer time to read the disks but will eventually read them. I have spent the evening trying out different cd's and dvd's and it seems to be ok now. I am wondering if it was because one of the cd's was a really old one?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 15th, 2015 03:00

Ok, good to hear it's working. I'm not sure why it's so slow honestly.

No Events found!