Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2011 05:00

hard disk issue?

HI... My Vostro 1700 laptop has 2 hdds x 250Gb each and they make a lot of knocks that scares me thinking to my data, especially. The tests showed no bad blocks. Recently, some months ago now, long beeps occur from time to time besides the powerful knocks.

Can this be the object of the warranty for a replacement? What that buzzer-beep sound means?

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2011 05:00

Hi Dan_me_finally,

Run the Dell diagnostics on your drives. There are other problems besides bad sectors that can happen to hard drives.

Of course, since you are backing up your data on a regular basis, you have no worries about data loss. Right? You are backing up your data on a regular basis, aren't you, Dan? Because most hard drive failures occur with no symptoms whatsoever.

January 18th, 2011 07:00

I don't know exactly at what other problems you think could be. Logical ones excluded, it is tested all the time and indeed i have backup and restore the data often, so no other problems at all could be from this point of view. Also... there is recent data that can't be safe anyway.

HDD electronics is OK , i did that tests already.

"most hard drive failures occur with no symptoms" so i think ...could it be safe working anymore this way when evan such knocks occur (one of the heads could damage or break and then all lost), and that long sound tone might be S.M.A.R.T. telling it's time to change the hdd?

Moreover, it's pretty annoying to hear that sound that occurs randomly. (this was from the beginning, new laptop)

Could this be the object of the warranty, any advise regarding the sound (not happened to me so i have no idea about it and it seems a bad sound)?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2011 09:00

When you test the drive using the Dell diagnostics, there are a numbers of different tests run, internal tests, and seek, read and write at various places. If you run the thorough test, it will also perform a surface scan. That's what I would do.

January 18th, 2011 22:00

I did first the surface test, i knew about it, i said from the begining "The tests showed no bad blocks".

It seems the knocks and beeps are for another reason (just sector 0 undetectable fault...), something not detected by Dell diagnostics.

Never thought a new expensive laptop with such hard disks.

I was not allowed to choose the type of hard disks, although i asked that and i mentioned i needed them reliable and fast as interface, (don't mind the rpm)

I would have chosen 2xWestern Digital by example, same model, not 2 different ones like they were:

FUJITSU MHY2250BH and SAMSUNG HM250JI

I don't know it's the best solution different hdds if i would chose to set in a RAID array, although i never did, i just wiped them all, Dell media partition too, then partitioned and installed Windows 7 on the first. Media keys work nice in Windows media players.

(before wiped was Vista installed, and after wiped, the same kind of knocks occur)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 19th, 2011 04:00

It makes no difference which drives you get, Dell's warranty is the same. Anyway, nothing you have told me indicates a hard drive problem, so I think you're in good shape.

January 19th, 2011 12:00

If you could ask please what is that long beep for and why do i need to live with the other knocking noise, it might have been a knocking laptop (in specifications) and i didn't know.

...Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 19th, 2011 16:00

Try posting in the laptop general hardware forum. Perhaps they'll have some ideas.

No Events found!