Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

September 3rd, 2012 05:00

hard drive is kaput

hey guys, iv been getting a message for a month now about my hard drive failing, so i backed my things up and i was going to sort it next week, now my comp refuses to start up and i presume its because of the hard drive problem

i bought my comp off ebay, and i got a 1 year warranty, its 1 1/2 years later and the hard drive failed, i wondering if it can still be replaced because iv asked many computer support/ tech guys, and they say it can, but im still unsure, so whats your opinion? also can i please have the contact numbers? i have no idea which to ring...

thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

You can get any standard SATA laptop drive. You can refer to Natakuc's clean install guides for the operating system reinstallation procedure (link below).

If you can't find your Win 7 disc, just buy a Dell Win 7 disc on Ebay or Amazon. Like $10.

5 Posts

the model is a dell xps l702x, i have the tag on the bottom if you want it, also when i got my comp i got a few discs... still looking for them atm, windows 7 was already installed when i got it

5 Posts

hmmm i have a external hard drive... could i use that one as my mane one?..........just a idea...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi potross,

Yes, your hard drive can definitely be replaced. Can you tell me what model your Dell is? Did you get a Windows disc with it?

5 Posts

hmm.. is there anyway i can hire a repair man to do it? do dell have a number?

also im a bit confused because 2 tech guys i know that have their own computer fixing services have both told me that dell should be able to replace my hard drive for free? im really confused....

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 07:00

No - you must have an internal drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 09:00

Since you bought your system off Ebay, I can't say what Dell will do. But you're way past the end of the warranty period so it doesn't seem like a warranty repair.

5 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 11:00

Yes, can you tell me dells repair man number or so for the UK? Doing it all by myself seems a bit too complex for me...

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 3rd, 2012 12:00

If the system isn't registered to you, you must start there.  Note though, that if the warranty has expired, Dell will charge you $60 or equivalent to call for a technician - a new hard drive won't cost a lot more than that.

Dell Ownership transfer:

www.dell.com/.../IdentifySystem

No Events found!