Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2008 14:00

how to resize OS Partion?

I've just got a Inspiron 1720 with two HDDs (120GB each). The first contains OS Partition (100GB), Recovery (10GB) and a "secret" partition. I think 100GB is too much for the OS. I want to create an extended partition (logical partition) to reduce the space of OS Partition. Please show me how to do it. I try feature "shrink volume" but it does not satisfy me. I want to divide into 2 partitions - oe 40GB for Vista and the remaining 60GB for data. Can i use Partition Magic Pro? whether partitioning is harmful to Recovery Partion or not? whether i can reformat OS partition for a fresh Vista installation, not use Recovery? 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 11th, 2008 14:00

Partition Magic has no Vista support. 

You will need to remove a partition to add another - there are four on the disc, which is maximum.

14 Posts

February 11th, 2008 17:00

Acronis Disk Director Suite partitioned my h.d. I got rid of that 10gb recovery and "secret" partition. I have Vista.
Message Edited by mikeg19_82 on 02-11-2008 01:00 PM

33 Posts

February 11th, 2008 23:00

did you get bios warning that hdd got virus? one of my friend did like you but he got the warning? Can you show me the detail how to do that? You formatted and reinstalled new OS?

33 Posts

February 12th, 2008 07:00

anyway, i want to ask one more question. the first hdd on my inspiron 1720 contains 4 partitions. One is called EISA Configuration (118MB). What is it? what is it for? And what does the "secret partition" (2.5GB) do? it does not contain any data. whether i can delete EISA Configuration Partition and "secret partition" or not?

Thank you very much.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 12th, 2008 10:00

The small partition is the Dell diagnostics;  it would be better NOT to delete that, as you may need those.

The other partition is for Media Direct.

The simplest partition to delete is the one containing the Dell restore - it's useless after you alter the partition structure anyway.

February 12th, 2008 11:00

hello... how do i kno which is the dell recovery partition ?? actually i deleted a '2.5GB' partition recently...!
i thought it was Media Direct....

have i any great loss on it...??

waiting for pointers....!

33 Posts

February 12th, 2008 12:00

I got it now. Thank you ejin63 very much.

You see Dell recovery partition is named Recovery. It's very easy to see. The dell diagnotics partition can be seen when using a disk management application.

No Events found!