Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2015 09:00

inspiron 1520 hdd to ssd

hello Dell Community

I have an inspiron 1520 for almost 5 years.   at that time it worked like how it should be but then, my hhd started to give so many errors, and a loud "beep" sound. I had to re-install the OS over 10 times in the last year. would replacing my hdd with an ssd be helpful ,and if I replaced my hdd with a ssd would it work, some people say it could work, and other said it won't. 

i currently have : http://www.fujitsu.com/cn/Images/MHW2160BH.pdf

some people recommended me to get a: kingston ssd hyperx 3k 240gb

link : http://www.kingston.com/us/hyperx/ssd#sh103s3

Thanks.

1.8K Posts

May 5th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

Both appear to be SATA connection drives so that SSD might work.  I do question whether your laptop can handle the enhanced speed throughput of that SSD card though.  Haven't tried it, so I can't recommend for or against using it.  

But in general, yes, an SSD is going to be more reliable and much faster than a traditional HDD.  All hard drives crash at some point, even the SSD drives, so what you actually end up getting out of that upgrade isn't something anyone can predict.

Here is a link to the Dell Support Pages, and if you input your service tag you will find a link for the manuals to your specific system.  There are tech specs and part replacement information in those manuals that may be helpful.

Todd

1.8K Posts

May 7th, 2015 11:00

This is what a SATA SSD drive looks like.   Not sure off hand which drive type your picture shows. 

Here is the link to the service manual for the Inspiron 1520;.  Directions on installing a replacement hard drive start on page 35.

Todd

7 Posts

May 7th, 2015 06:00

i did the diagnostic and got this error and it says i need to replace the hdd because it's having a "read problem"

7 Posts

May 7th, 2015 07:00

what is this connector ? because i don't think i have a place for that in the disk drive port .....

No Events found!